Data Science Intern
HomeAdvisor is seeking an Intern for our Data Science team. This is a unique learning opportunity for someone with a strong background in statistics, programming, or mathematics who is interested in solving real business problems for Colorado’s largest consumer-facing internet company.
HomeAdvisor, a subsidiary of IAC, offers an innovative marketplace that helps homeowners improve their homes and contractors grow their businesses. HomeAdvisor is one of the biggest internet success stories in Colorado – growing from our startup days to now with nearly half a billion dollars in annual revenue. HomeAdvisor has been named one of the Denver Post’s “Top Workplaces” every year since 2013.
Our Data Science team is currently tackling challenges such as homeowner-contractor matching, forecasting of key business metrics, and streaming predictions for optimizing consumer experience. This internship will give you the opportunity to learn how a growing business approaches complex issues, and you’ll gain exposure to a lot of the enterprise tools available on the market.
The ideal candidate will possess superior data analytics skills and has a history of devising creative solutions to difficult problems. As a Data Scientist Intern, you will be responsible for communicating your findings to business stakeholders, so communication and visualization skills are essential. This internship is slated to last about 12 weeks, and will require work from our headquarters in Golden, CO. We’re asking for a minimum of 16-20 hours per week, though there is the opportunity to work up to 40 hours/week if your schedule accommodates it.
Experience and Skills:
Experience and Skills:
- Working toward Bachelor’s or Master’s in Applied Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science, or other quantitative field (if you’ve already graduated, or have relevant work experience, that’s acceptable too)
- Experience working in R
- Knowledge (and understanding) of machine learning and data mining algorithms
- Demonstrable teamwork skills
- Experience writing SQL
- Experience working in Java, Python or another general-purpose programming language
- Knowledge of Linux and Git commands
- 1+ years experience building machine learning models in any programming language
- Knowledge of complex methods such as Monte Carlo techniques, Bayesian inference, NLP techniques, deep learning, reinforcement learning
- Experience with Spark, Hadoop, or other “big data” environments
- Experience building models using H2O
- Experience with an ETL tool such as Informatica
- Experience with visualization tools such as Tableau or Oracle BI
We’re looking for someone who is motivated and smart, and ready to work hard in our business. If you’re excited by this learning opportunity, we want to talk to you!
Back to top