At Hiya we are on a mission to secure the voice call with trust, identity, and intelligence. We’re protecting everyday people from spam and fraud calls, connecting businesses with their customers, and helping mobile carriers secure their networks for all. In early 2016, brought its Hiya Protect product to market through Samsung Smart Call, AT&T Call Protect (now Active Armor) the first-ever network-based spam solution, and the Hiya consumer app for iOS & Android. Three years later in 2019, we brought Hiya Connect to market, a B2B branded call SaaS solution that enables companies to connect to the consumers they are trying to reach. The combination of Protect, Connect, and the Hiya app has resulted in the world’s largest Voice Security Platform with over 450M users.
About the Position
The Backend Engineer is an Individual contributor position responsible for designing, coding and operating high performance data processing systems and backend services on the JVM platform (primarily Scala) for our phone call processing pipeline and customer facing web applications for Hiya Connect.
We’re excited about you because you’re the kind of person that has the skills and desire to understand our entire tech stack, from our cloud platform (AWS) through data storage technologies (such as DynamoDB, Redshift) and stream processing (Kafka) all the way to Scala/Typelevel stack based components.
What You’ll Do
- Work at a supportive and fast-growing startup with a fantastic team.
- Make an impact in the lives of hundreds of millions of consumers.
- Collaborate and learn from other great team members.
- Support in developing your skills and accelerating your career
- Fully own the systems developed by your team, taking part in deployment and operations
What You’ll Need to Succeed
- Experience or interest in functional programming in a typed setting;
- Understanding customer needs first and providing solutions primarily based on that
- A desire to own design and architecture end to end;
- A philosophy of iteration and continuous improvement;
- BSc or M.S in a relevant field; 2-3+ years relevant work experience
- Excellent communication and self-organization skills incl. working within and with other remote teams.
- Familiar with data storage- and processing systems (such as Postresql, Amazon DynamoDB, Amazon Redshift, Apache Spark);
- Experience with *nix.
- Proficient at collaborating and communicating with both local and remote team members in English
The person in this role must embody Hiya’s key values of: Serving our customers, Doing rather than observing, Improving ourselves and our business, Owning and holding ourselves accountable for success and Leading by showing up with a POV, engaging in discussion, listening respectfully to others opinions and committing to decisions.
You will have a fast start if you have experience with:
- Cloud environments (AWS)
- Data management languages (such as SQL)
The requirements listed in the job descriptions are guidelines. You don’t have to satisfy every requirement or meet every qualification listed. If your skills are transferable we would still love to hear from you.
The Base salary is between $144,000-$175,000. When determining compensation, a number of factors will be considered: skills, experience, job scope, location, and competitive compensation market data.
- Start Date: Immediately
- Status: Full-time
- Type: Hybrid, at least 2x per week
- Location: Seattle, Washington
- Department: Engineering
- Reports to: Director of Engineering
- Equity compensation
- 401K program with 3% match through Fidelity Investments
- Self managed vacation plan
- 15 Paid holidays including Recharge Days
- 100% covered medical, dental, and vision for the employee and 50% coverage for dependents
- Flexible spending, health savings accounts and Pretax dependent day care savings plan
- Paid parental leave
- Voluntary Life and AD&D, and Accident insurance options
- Employer-paid life insurance
- Employer-paid long-term disability coverage (in qualifying states)
- Donation Matching for a charity of your choice (up to $1,000/ year)
- $1,000/year reimbursement in Professional Development funds
This position is based in Seattle, WA, USA.
We are building a team with a variety of perspectives, identities, and professional experiences. We evaluate great candidates through a business lens and we strongly believe that diversity and unique perspectives make our company stronger, more dynamic, and a great place to build a career.
Our team has won various awards over the last 4 years from Built-in Seattle and Seattle Business Week to #86 on Deloitte Technology Fast 500 and Forbes #1 Startup Employer. Here at Hiya, we are a people-centric company focused on helping each and every one of our employees grow both personally and professionally. We feel that creating a team culture of support and empowerment to challenge the status quo results in an energized and passionate team that is continuously challenged and passionate about the work they are doing. You'll love working here if you are looking for an innovative challenge that is disrupting an industry. Come join us!