Vertica Software Engineering Intern - Query Engine team
At Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), we don’t just believe in the power of technology, we believe in the power of people when technology works for them. We believe in applying new thinking and ideas to improve the way our customers live and work.
Learning does not only happen through training. Relationships are among the most powerful ways for people to learn and grow, and this is part of our HPE culture. In addition to working alongside talented colleagues, you will have many opportunities to learn through coaching and stretch assignment opportunities. You’ll be guided by feedback and support to accelerate your learning and maximize your knowledge. We also have a “reverse mentoring” program which allows us to share our knowledge and strengths across our multi-generation workforce.
HPE Software has a wide variety of Software Solutions and Services that allow customers to: deliver amazing applications, re-invent IT operations, optimize and monetize customer engagement, identify and neutralize security threats, and protect and govern data assets. HPE Software is a fast growing business unit which supports its customers on planning, conceptual design and implementation of software solutions. Big Data has changed the software landscape and HPE is leading the way.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Big Data Group Vertica is the leading provider of next-generation analytics platforms enabling customers to monetize all of their data. Vertica’s elasticity, scale, performance, and simplicity are unparalleled in the industry, delivering 50×-1000x the performance of traditional solutions at 30% the total cost of ownership. Vertica’s analytics platform provides organizations with a robust solution for organizing Big Data on a massive scale in real time. Vertica powers some of the largest organizations and most innovative business models globally including Zynga, Twitter, and AT&T.
HPE Vertica Link: http://bit.ly/1T0QepG
HPE Vertica seeks Software Engineer Intern in Cambridge, MA to work on their Query Engine to design and develop speedy operators for their Execution Engine and sophisticated algorithms for their Query Optimizer, Database Designer, and Catalog Engine. Vertica provides a state-of-the-art Big Data Analytics platform that handles petabytes of data and delivers tomorrow’s performance today. This is a rare opportunity to work on the core technology that powers a commercially successful, massively parallel high performance distributed database.
Vertica Engineers are given significant latitude and support to pursue what they are passionate about to make Vertica an even better place to be. If you are excited about building great technology with a proactive team, you will find yourself in good company at Vertica.
Work with full-time engineers on:
- Design, implement and support features in the database execution engine that enable new kinds of analytic operations.
- Identify optimization opportunities in query execution / runtime system, design and implement effective solutions that improve overall system performance.
- Design, develop and implement techniques and optimizations to improve plan run times.
- Design, develop and implement new SQL functionality.
- Research and identify applicable state-of-the-art algorithms and techniques in databases, analyze their applicability, and perform cost-benefit analysis.
- Gather requirements for new features by interacting with / observing customers and sales engineers.
- Develop and document intellectual property.
- Must be currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s, Master’s or PhD degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related field
- Must be graduating AFTER August 2017
- Ability to deliver prodigious amounts of high quality code (“get stuff done”).
- Complexity analysis and improvement of algorithms.
- Proficient in data structures.
- Experience with either Java, Python, or C/C
- Database internals
- Distributed system development experience
- Multi-threading programming
- Experience in low-level, high performance system design
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Values:
Partnership first: We believe in the power of collaboration – building long term relationships with our customers, our partners and each other
Bias for action: We never sit still – we take advantage of every opportunity
Innovators at heart: We are driven to innovate – creating both practical and breakthrough advancements
HPE is an EOE / Female / Minority / Individual with Disabilities / Protected Veteran Status
What do we offer?
Extensive social benefits, flexible working hours, a competitive salary and shared values, make Hewlett Packard Enterprise one of the world´s most attractive employers. At HPE our goal is to provide equal opportunities, work-life balance, and constantly evolving career opportunities.
If you are looking for challenges in a pleasant and international work environment, then we definitely want to hear from you. Apply now below, or directly via our Careers Portal at www.hpe.com/careers
You can also find us on:
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top