Vertica Database Engineer
HPE Vertica is the leading provider of next-generation analytics platforms enabling customers to monetize all of their data. Vertica’s elasticity, scale, performance, and simplicity are unparalleled in the industry, delivering 50×-1000x the performance of traditional solutions at 30% the total cost of ownership. Vertica’s analytics platform provides organizations with a robust solution for organizing Big Data on a massive scale in real time. Vertica powers some of the largest organizations and most innovative business models globally including Facebook, Zynga, Twitter, and AT&T. Are you ready to join the industry leader in Big Data?
As a Vertica Database Engineer you know databases and have exposure to columnar databases such as Vertica or Redshift. Not just how to use databases but how they work. You can describe the inner workings of one or more industry leading RDBMS technologies (Oracle, MySQL, TD, etc.) in depth. You know how optimization relates to execution, identify inefficient SQL with extensive knowledge of tuning. You know how a DBA’s mind works and are not afraid to go toe-to-toe with application developers.
You will have a passion for Linux and you prefer the control of a command line interface to the limitations of X-Windows. You thrive on creating shell scripts that scale your own productivity. You understand the pressures on System Administrators and strive to find solutions to enable greater productivity
- Work with Vertica customers implementing scalability, high availability, migration and consolidation services on Vertica.
- Design and implement database administration solutions including performance monitoring and tuning, data management and capacity planning, implementing DR/failover, resource management, security, backup and recovery, etc.
- Advise and consult on hardware selection, planning, and installation for big data implementations
- Optimizing system performance
- Troubleshoot and resolve system issues
- Mentor and coach client and partner technical resources
- Act as primary technical contact and liaison between customer technical resources and Vertica engineers
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science is required; a Master’s degree is preferred.
- Strong experience with performance optimization and tuning of databases.
- Enterprise database administration and SQL development experience.
- Experience with ETL, reporting and monitoring tools is a plus.
- Desire to travel 50% (and more, at times).
- Strong SQL, programming and/or scripting skills is a MUST.
- Experience with Columnar Databases such as Vertica, Redshift, ParAccel, Netezza
- Experience with Big Data Technologies such as Hadoop, Spark, Kafka
- Experience with Data Visualization Tools such as Tableau, Looker, LogiAnalytics, Qlikview or open source alternatives.
- Exposure to statistical analysis and machine learning tools such as R and Mahout
- Mature and confident team player motivated by a fast paced environment.
- Ability to communicate technical scenarios at both a high-level and detail level, as is required by the audience.
Date Advertised: 19/12/2016
Date Expires: 17/1/2017
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top