US Sales Manager
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is an industry leading technology company that enables customers to go further, faster. With the industry’s most comprehensive portfolio, spanning the cloud to the data center to workplace applications, our technology and services help customers around the world make IT more efficient, more productive and more secure.
At HPE, you’ll build the future—one big idea at a time. Ready to unleash your professional potential? You’ll use your experience and scientific knowledge to develop, modify, design, and test products, software, systems, and processes. And you’ll help drive our growth as a technology leader. If solving the world’s biggest challenges sounds like the right career path for you, read on.
HPE CMS (Communications & Media Solutions) is the worldwide HPE entity dedicated to the Telecom & Media industry. CMS business is a strategic declaration by HPE of the importance of industry specific, services and software rich solutions. The organization is built around our capabilities in four solution domains – Application and Cloud Enablement, Actionable Customer Intelligence – BSS, Operations Support Systems, Media & Entertainment. This is a fully aligned functional organization with a solutions business model, built on a mix of consulting & integration services combined with software IP.
HPE is looking for a Senior Sales Manager with experience in managing a solutions sales organization selling into the Telecom and Media industry. The successful candidate for this position will be responsible to manage a sales team of between 5 and 10 sales professionals. CMS offers both software IP, and consulting, delivery & support services that enable our customers to drive the necessary transformation required to survive in a rapidly changing competitive landscape. Our CMS Sales leader needs to understand the industry dynamics and ensure that our CMS sales teams are positioning our software solutions most effectively at a senior level with our clients to ensure we are able to drive this transformation within the industry and position HPE/CMS as a leader in the Telecom Industry.
- Sales coverage – Builds well targeted business plans and strategies for allocating resources and driving sales activities to achieve margin; collaborates within the company and with the field to prioritize, facilitate and direct the use of resources
- Account Planning – Assists in planning sales strategy; manages the internal processes in support of sales reps and selling activities; aligns tactical account plans with overall corporate strategy; actively develops and manages geography business plans to meet revenue goals/quotas; develops robust, comprehensive plans that articulate the strategies/requirements essential for focusing sales activities, forecasting accurately and communicating sales progress; actively manages and signs off on account business plans through scheduled reviews and updates
- Pipeline management – Builds, monitors and orchestrates sales pipelines to ensure continuous population of near and long term opportunities; manages the size, shape and quality of pipeline; analyzes overall win rates and win/loss ratios
- Deal management – Critically assesses deals to ensure soundness and problem-free processing by the company back-end operations; Monitors the number of deals with TAS plan reviewed by managers
- Business acumen – Exhibits authoritative business, financial and legal acumen to develop meaningful business recommendations; Continuously monitors and improves area-of-control operations to ensure alignment with company’s business direction, the quality of business practices and optimum organization performance
- Strategic sales planning & implementation – Orchestrates the development of strategic sales plans that reflect the company’s business strategy, to advance market share/penetration, and achieve profitable growth
- Competitive Positioning/Strategy – Uses competitive intelligence in account planning and sales activities to develop counter strategies that will neutralize competitive influence on the customer’s buying decisions
- Coaching & Performance Management – Assesses and manages employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence; counsels and supports individuals through selling challenges; manages performance and results of high and low performers
- Leadership – Models effective selling skills; motivates and supports sales teams in selling; demonstrates a high level of support in the pursuit and closing of deals
- People development – Nurtures and advances the talent required to maintain the company sales force excellence within area of control; sponsors and directs skill building activities to increase the productivity and accomplishments of the sales force
- Change management – Ability to work through an environment of change and effectively lead a sales team through transitions beyond their control
- Focus on strategic direction – Understands the overall company/TSG strategic direction and portfolio, and can assist sales teams in customizing solutions based on client needs
- C-level partnering – Contributes to enduring executive relationships at the highest levels of the client’s organization; personally interacts with executives; establishes professional relationships and credibility with key IT and business executives in support of other established relationships with the client
- Consultative selling – Strategizes and coaches team on how to apply consultative-selling techniques to identify and advance opportunities that result in ongoing profitable revenue growth for the company; prepares for client calls in partnership with sales teams and supports the efforts of the team during client meetings; ensures sales teams have access to other resources of the company and encourages them to nurture relationships with client influencers and decision makers
- Industry and client knowledge – Stays current with industry and competitive research and information to enable rich client dialogue; maintains an understanding of client business challenges, industry trends and markets; demonstrates breadth and depth of knowledge to position and map the company capabilities that align to client business objectives and initiatives.
- May also manage other functions in addition to Sales
- May own full P&L or contribution margin for a country or defined area within a country
- Assists in the recruiting, training and development of Sales Representatives
- Participates in investment decisions in pricing and resources
- Typically manages a group of 8-10 direct reports, of which 3-6 are first level managers; total sales headcount of 20-50
What do we expect?
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 10 years account management experience
- Experience in IT industry and the telecom industry mandantory
Education and Experience Required:
- Directly related management experience and work results including success in achieving progressively higher quota or other sales related goals
- Demonstrated level of project management skills
- University or Bachelor’s degree; advanced or Master’s degree preferred
- Typically 8-12 years experience in sales
- 5 yrs. management experience
Knowledge and Skills Required:
In addition to core selling skills:
- Strategic Planning – Translates business goals into actionable plans and strategies that reflect the requirements and opportunities within area-of-control Aligns area-of-control H and market opportunities with upstream strategic plans and metrics. Sets sales priorities and establishing these as the focus of individual or sales team activities
- Execution – Actively manages business plans to meet revenue goals/quotes and advance the business interests of
. Determines if an opportunity is profitable for the company
- Forecast/Budget Control – Tracks and manages rolling forecasts and budgets to ensure timely and accurate roll-ups
- Pipeline Management – Builds, monitors and orchestrates sales pipelines to ensure continuous population of near- and long-term opportunities Balances quick wins against longer sales-cycle opportunities to ensure both immediate wins and long-term profitability for the company
- Operations Building/Improvement – Continuously monitors, troubleshoots and improves area-of-control operations to ensure alignment with the company’s business direction, the quality of business practices, optimum organizational performance and a highly motivated sales force
- Resource Brokering/Allocation – Collaborates across the company within the field to access, facilitate and direct the use of resources needed for effective selling
- Sales Facilitation – Applies influence and organizational savvy to advances sales opportunities externally, with clients, and internally within the company; Establishes company’s account presence and extends the customer’s account penetration to executive levels; Accompanies sales reps on calls to demonstrate and model effective selling skills
- Strategic Account Leadership – Actively drives key enterprise and strategic account activities – promotes vision and models executive relationship building practices to build enduring partnerships and account share/penetration for the company
- Attract and hire top talent.
- Supervision – Assesses and manages employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence Builds individual and group commitment to business goals and personal excellence
- Coaching – Personally develops employee performance to ensure individual and group excellence. Coaches and develops sales personnel in such activities as solution selling or relationship building. Reviews, brainstorms, validates, and troubleshoots selling strategies for individuals & account teams
- Skill Development/Enhancement – Sponsors and directs skill building activities to increase the productivity and accomplishments of the sales force
- Workforce Planning – Actively monitors, identifies and addresses sales and resource capability gaps within area-of-control. Manages “span of control” issues to ensure such goals as adequate account coverage, employee retention, effective succession planning, and optimum implementation of workforce re-alignment models
- Career Planning and Development – Nurtures and advances the talent required to maintain company sales force excellence within area-of-control
- Proactively develops and nurtures solid CxO-level relationships in key accounts as a basis for expanding the company’s business-partnering presence
- Solidifies an enduring partnership with key accounts through such strategies as active monitoring of customer satisfaction, speedy problem resolution, and advance communication of beneficial company initiatives or solutions
- Manages the top- and bottom-line – monitors discounts and margins involved in individual deals to align them with group performance
- Works with others to create mechanisms that shift the focus from “low-hanging,” immediate wins to recognizing and providing incentives for large deals/wins
- Understands industry drivers and the customer base better to bridge the company solutions with account-relevant problems and opportunities
- Builds stronger internal relationships with other groups to ensure seamless selling of total company solutions and to establish clear expectations for resource alignment and support
- develop effective counter-measures and messages
- Builds clear strategies for working with key accounts to pursue and close major opportunities, including clear identification of tactics for accelerating progress through the pipeline
- Provides better coaching and mentoring opportunities – less improvization, more planful, more call-related modeling
- Reviews and provides counseling on account-team deals
- Leverages personal sales experience to participate in pursuit planning for key accounts
- Strengthens the alignment of account-team activities and priorities with management’s business mission and goals
- Assesses account teams for strengths/challenges and ensures that the team capitalizes on individual strengths, while compensating for individual challenges
- Ensures that sales reps are trained on corporate tools and systems to ensure efficient use of time, better data collation, and elimination of the “management by spreadsheet” cycle
- Vertical Industry Acumen – Develops and exercises a deep understanding of business dynamics within area of control, as a basis for informed business decision making
- Solution Selling – Approaches selling from a business solution perspective to ensure that company products and services accurately address the customer/client’s true business need in terms of type, scope, level
- Change Management – Develops methods for supporting innovation and change across the organization
- Leadership – Able to lead effectively in a complex and political environment, and deliver results; Able to influence without direct authority; Able to balance between competing priorities and be flexible and creative; Drives team performance to best in class
Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE) creates new possibilities for technology to have a meaningful impact on people, businesses, governments and society. The world’s largest technology company and ranked 10 on the Fortune 500 list for 2012, HPE brings together a portfolio that spans printing, personal computing, software, services and IT infrastructure to serve more than 1 billion customers in over 170 countries on six continents. HPE invents, engineers, and delivers technology solutions that drive business value, create social value, and improve the lives of our clients. And at HPE, we know that our people and values are the most important elements in this success.
Thanks for taking the time to review our job, if you think it is a match to your experience and interests please apply today— we are eager to learn more about you! If you know a friend who may be a fit for the job please refer them.
Please note the above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an complete list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
If you are looking for challenges in a pleasant and international work environment, then we definitely want to hear from you. Apply now below, or directly via our Careers Portal at www.hpe.com/careers
You can also find us on:
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top