Systems Software Engineer
Systems Software Engineer
At Hewlett Packard Enterprise (HPE), we don't just believe in the power of technology, we believe in the power of people when technology works for them. We believe in applying new thinking and ideas to improve the way our customers live and work. Learning does not only happen through training. Relationships are among the most powerful ways for people to learn and grow, and this is part of our HPE culture.
The Enterprise Group works to streamline innovation and simplify IT with superior solutions, supports our customers with the transformation and integration of their technology. Hewlett Packard Enterprise is seeking a highly motivated Software Development Engineer to work in our corporate office in Palo Alto, CA.
The HPE OneView product is the industry leading server edge solution for virtualized, cloud-ready enterprise environments. Built for the demands of Composable Infrastructure, the HPE OneView solution provides storage, server and network administrators with the simplest, most flexible way to connect servers and virtual machines to any LAN or SAN – with no extra mezzanine cards. We are looking for bright, hard-working Software Developer to fill a key role to help grow HPE's Composable Infrastructure business and make contributions to our future roadmap. In this role, you will work with a highly experienced, highly skilled Agile engineering team within HPE's Enterprise Business organization, to architect and develop innovative products for network interconnects and switches for cloud infrastructure products.
This position is for a software developer who will provide technical leadership and contribute to the definition, development, integration, test, documentation, and support of Java, J2EE/Spring applications across multiple platforms. This hands-on position requires broad engineering skills and in-depth technical knowledge of networking application software development, as well as demonstrated experience successfully planning, organizing, and conducting software development projects in a dynamic environment.
- Responsible for the architecture of software solutions, determining current limitations and compatibilities between subsystems, the selection of new concepts and methodology, and the development of major routines and utilities.
- Creating new features, enhancements and performance improvements.
- Preparation of technical requirements and software design specifications.
- Reviews and evaluates designs and project activities for compliance with systems design and development guidelines and standards; provides tangible feedback to improve product quality and mitigate failure risk.
- Provides networking domain-specific expertise and overall software systems leadership and perspective to cross-organization projects, programs, and activities
- Represents the network management engineering team for all phases of larger and more-complex development projects.
- Instilling best practices for software development and documentation, making sure designs meet requirements, and delivering high quality software on tight schedules.
- Collaborates and communicates with management, internal, and outsourced development partners regarding software systems design status, project progress, and issue resolution
- Provides guidance and mentoring to less-experienced software developers.
- Manages and expands relationships with internal and outsourced development partners on software systems design and development.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, or equivalent
- Minimum 6-10 years of experience
Skills and Expertise
- Mastery of at least two programming languages such as Java, C++, C or Go.
- Scripting knowledge (Python, Perl shell or related languages) desired.
- Day-to-day working knowledge of contemporary source code development tools and techniques (e.g. GIT, Maven, Eclipse)
- Hands on knowledge of RDBMs like Postgres and MySQL.
- Knowledge of network concepts like VLANs, ACLs, TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP desired.
- Experience using design tools such as Visio to document the product designs.
- Expertise in multiple software systems design tools and languages, with strong Java and object oriented programming skills and familiarity with object oriented design patterns.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and troubleshooting skills.
- Designing and integrating software systems running on multiple platform types into overall architecture
- Software systems testing methodology, including writing and execution of test plans, debugging, and testing scripts and tools
- Good verbal and written communication skills, demonstrated ability to collaborate across teams and organizations. Ability to effectively communicate product architectures, design proposals and negotiate options at management levels.
- Experience in agile software development
- Knowledge of software test development, execution and automation
- Superior design and architecture knowledge, as well as Engineering process expertise, with a full understanding of Agile Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) principles.
- Robust Agile project planning/execution skills including estimating, scheduling, and executing on committed schedules.
- Familiarity with container technologies like Docker is a plus.
- Excellent judgment, organizational, and problem solving skills.
- Familiarity with Linux and Windows.
- Familiarity with network system administration processes and tools.
Hewlett Packard Enterprise Values:
Partnership first: We believe in the power of collaboration - building long term relationships with our customers, our partners and each other
Bias for action: We never sit still - we take advantage of every opportunity
Innovators at heart: We are driven to innovate - creating both practical and breakthrough advancements
HPE is an EOE / Female / Minority / Individual with Disabilities / Protected Veteran Status
What do we offer?
Extensive social benefits, flexible working hours, a competitive salary and shared values, make Hewlett Packard Enterprise one of the world´s most attractive employers. At HPE our goal is to provide equal opportunities, work-life balance, and constantly evolving career opportunities.
If you are looking for challenges in a pleasant and international work environment, then we definitely want to hear from you. Apply now below, or directly via our Careers Portal at www.hpe.com/careers
You can also find us on:
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is EEO F/M/Protected Veteran/ Individual with Disabilities.
HPE will comply with all applicable laws related to the use of arrest and conviction records, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Senior Manager, Community Engagement
Rebecca is responsible for educating and inspiring HPE employees to become involved in the communities around them, then ensuring they’re each recognized for their contributions.
Back to top