SQL Server Database Administrator
Hewlett Packard Enterprise – Enterprise Services (HPE ES) is a leading global technology services provider delivering out sourcing services and business solutions to clients around the world. HPE ES founded the information technology outsourcing industry nearly a half-century ago and today delivers one of the industry’s broadest portfolios of information technology, applications and business process outsourcing services available on the market today.
HPE ES is leading the charge in delivering the “New Style of IT” and HPE ES is investing in Canada. With the introduction of a Regional Delivery Centre in Winnipeg HPE ES has confirmed that Winnipeg will be the Regional Delivery Centre for Canada. As a member of a quickly growing team one of the first hires into the Centre you will be involved in shaping the Data Engineering offerings within the Centre. If you are serious about continuing to develop your skills in Information Systems as a senior member of a support team then this is the assignment for you.
The Winnipeg RDC is a partnership of the core practices/disciplines of applications development, applications maintenance, data engineering and business intelligence. The RDC is led by Applications Delivery Services and is the primary practice providing applications development and applications maintenance staff in Canada.
Help us grow and mature so that our success and your success grow together as you embark on an exciting new career.
The ideal candidate will have 5 years of experience working either as a SQL Server, database administrator in a production environment. Excellent performance tuning skills for tuning critical databases and jobs. Proactively prevent database issues by closely monitoring the databases on a regular basis and implementing the tools and procedures required to maintain a very stable environment. Responsible for administering, analyzing, recommending, designing, developing, enhancing and supporting data structures and data processes required to meet business objectives. Contributes considerable business and technical knowledge to complex IT projects.
- Participates in or leads a Data Engineering Team supporting one or more application projects
- Works with the Application Project manager to estimate, plan and manage the Data Engineering (DE) activities and deliverables.
- Updates and communicates project status to management and users.
- Contributes to the design, development, maintenance and documentation of data flows for scheduled and straight through processing as they relate to the database
- Engage and collaborate with the infrastructure DBA teams to ensure delivery of Data Base (DB) infrastructure components. Ensure integration of DE deliverables with other project deliverables.
- Understands existing and new business requirements and makes recommendations for new technology adoption where appropriate
- Maintains technical currency in database, and data management trends through research/education/self-motivated training and personal development
- Mentors and educates colleagues with respect to database design and implementation practices
- Executes data model and database code reviews and provides constructive feedback and follow-up actions
- Takes initiative to modernize non-standard models, processes, and implementations
- Develops plans and milestones appropriate for completion of all work assignments
The ideal candidate will have 5 years of experience working either as a SQL Server, database administrator in a production environment. Fit will be based upon demonstrated knowledge and experience that includes but is not limited to:
- Computer Science or Business degree or equivalent working experience
- 7 years’ experience in the Information Technology field and preferred candidate will have 5 years’ experience specifically supporting SQL Databases.
- Excellent communication skills and works well with diverse teams or independently
- Experience with the full project lifecycle from conception to implementation & support
- Self-starter with excellent organization, planning, documentation and time management skills
- Ability to analyze business cases, extract requirements and understand business needs
- Proficiency with metadata, data modeling and data quality tools an asset
- Understands manufacturing related data and data management best practices
- Experience with Multi-platform and multi-system integration
- Build/upgrade and tune SQL databases.
- Performs SQL patching
- Backup and restore databases as appropriate.
- Tune and resolve database performance problems.
- Effectively manage and monitor all aspects of RDBMS (relational database management systems) environments (development, test, and production).
- SQL certification preferred
- Knowledge of SQL Server Reporting Services
- Knowledge of SQL Server Profiler
- Platform: MS Windows, knowledge in SQL Server tools
- SQL programming a plus
- Knowledge of T-SQL experience is a plus
- Knowledge of PowerShell scripting a plus
- MS Windows
- SQL 2000, SQL 2005, SQL 2008, SQL 2012
This role is physically located in Winnipeg, MB with candidates required to work out of the Winnipeg HPE office – no other location will be considered. The candidate must also be qualified to obtain at a minimum Canadian enhanced security clearance.
About HPE ES
Thanks for taking the time to review our job, if you think it is a match to your experience and interests please apply today— we are eager to learn more about you! If you know a friend who may be a fit for the job please refer them.
Please note the above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not a complete list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
In order to satisfy our contractual obligations with clients, the successful candidate will be required to pass a basic, standard Criminal Records check. You will also be required to sign off on HPE ES’s Confidentiality, Non-Solicitation and Conflict of Interest Agreement.
HPE ES is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome the many dimensions of diversity.
Accommodation of special needs for qualified candidates may be considered within the framework of the HPE ES Accommodation Policy.
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top