The Environmental and Compliance Counsel will be responsible for 1) supporting world-wide compliance, sustainability, and supply chain responsibility projects, and 2) providing general legal support on commercial and public sector compliance matters. The position will require the ability to deliver advice concisely, pragmatically and promptly on a broad range of environmental compliance queries from business teams and support them in finding solutions. You will be a trusted advisor to internal clients on HPE policies and processes, customer inquiries and messaging.
The successful candidate will also have the proven ability to analyze data and draw reasonable conclusions, communicate clearly, possess excellent writing skills and as a strong team player be able to work well with employees at various levels of the organization. This attorney will provide advice on EU and international environmental and human health related laws, treaties and regulations addressing the design, manufacture, distribution, sale and end of life of all HPE products and services.
This job will be based in Herndon.
- Advise on environmental compliance issues in concert with other specialist lawyers and compliance professionals, often working from established HPE guidance or policies. Focus areas will include EU REACH, WEEE, RoHS and Eco-Design directives, plus local implementation and enforcement initiatives.
- Support efforts to identify and evaluate environmental risks.
- Partner with a cross-functional team to complete compliance projects that mitigate HPE’s overall legal and regulatory risks.
- Partner with a cross-functional team to support disclosure obligations relating to ethical sourcing and supply chain and labor issues.
- Assist in updating standard responses to typical customer inquiries and engage directly in more complex responses.
- Assist in efforts to assess risk in messaging and customer communications, advising on strategic campaigns and updating and delivering world-wide guidance.
- Support environmental or social responsibility attributes of sales pursuits with key customers.
- Lead environmental legal reviews of key IT projects to deliver or improve compliance initiatives or processes.
- Assist in the development and implementation of effective tools, processes, and training materials. Lead training sessions for compliance professionals in your areas of expertise.
- Assist in due diligence for mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
The successful candidate is expected to possess the following qualifications:
- A BA or equivalent degree.
- Juris Doctor (J.D.) or equivalent.
- 3 years of relevant legal experience.
- Experience in a variety of compliance areas(e.g., environmental, public sector) is an advantage.
- Outstanding analytical and communication skills (both written and verbal), with an ability to communicate effectively to business leaders and employees.
- Ability to work seamlessly across multiple organizations within the Office of the General Counsel and all of HPE, as an effective business partner focusing on providing practical and efficient solutions to problems.
- Excellent presentation, facilitation and teamwork skills.
- Positive attitude, high energy, initiative, resourcefulness, and creativity.
- Fluent in English.
- Some experience in the application of environmental law fundamentals to client matters.
- Outstanding communication skills, both written and verbal and demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with clients.
- Ability to work independently and efficiently under time pressures and deadlines in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Ability to work seamlessly as part of a team, and across multiple organizations within the Office of the General Counsel and all of HP, delivering practical and effective solutions.
- Highest ethical standards.
- Positive attitude, high energy and a sense of humor!
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top