International Export Control and Customs Expert
International Export Control and Customs Expert
HPE Global Trade (GT) is a compliance function responsible to ensure HPE compliance with all Export and Import laws and regulations of the countries in which HPE operates.GT is part of the Finance function and reports into the HPE Corporate Controller.
GT develops all HPE policies related to Export and Import and partners with the businesses to ensure compliance with those policies. GT also develops and provides relevant training courses to HPE employees to increase their awareness and effectiveness at ensuring trade compliance. The GT Controls function is regional in nature and is responsible for the implementation of Import and Export related policies to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, participation in or providing oversight for import or export regulatory audits, and for providing support and guidance to all HPE businesses and functions in meeting their regulatory obligations. We participate in various projects and initiatives providing subject matter expertise in the fundamental import and export topics in order to implement changes and systems solutions necessary to mitigate risks. In addition, our team provides oversight of trade incidents and corrective actions as well as non-routine communications with external regulatory agencies and organizations.This position reports to the GT Controls Manager - EMEA. Responsibilities includeResponsibilities:
- Is the subject matter expert on all import, customs, export control and crypto related topics for (but not limited to) Netherlands. Familiarity with US export regulations for dual use and military goods also preferred.
- Familiarity with the EU Customs Code
- Is the member of the GT EMEA Controls team and as such is providing back-up to colleagues and peers in the same region.
- Coordinates with Business on contract terms and conditions
- Partners with global and regional business units and supply bases on supply chain aspects, particularly on customs and export related issues (application of customs regimes, duty minimization programs, preferential trade agreements, classification, RPL, embargoed/sanctioned countries, boycott measures etc.).
- Provides compliance training to regional business and functional teams
- Provides performance metrics on a regular basis, on incident reports, licenses and escalations identifying opportunities for improvement actions and targets for future assessment
- Defines and reviews performance metrics on a regular basis, identifying opportunities for improvement actions and addressing the same within Global Trade as well as to the respective business units.
- Conducts targeted assessments of business units and functional groups. Assists with formal audits and Transaction testing coordinated by Global Trade Audit team or Internal Audit. Supports Customs Operations on external Customs audits.
- Supports the EMEA Regional Regulatory Trade Compliance program and updates regional ICP
- Assists in maintaining the regional control data in GTS screening system
- Collaborates across regions with Global Trade and Business peers and colleagues.
- Actively reviews the Customs and Export regulatory environment for updates and changes, and is driving necessary implementation activities as necessary.
- Communicates requirements and guidelines to the regional and global business unit planning teams.
- Drives negotiations and influences government authorities as required.
- Manages regional import and export license application processes.
- Typically leads or contributes to complex and high impact projects
- Leads and manages a Regulatory Trade Compliance program.
Education and Experience Required:
- University degree with emphasis on international trade and customs as well as export control.
- Broker's license and/or 6-10 years of experience in a customs/global trade function.
- Experience in export licensing, government relationship
- Subject matter expert in EU export regulations within the Europe, Middle East, and Asia region. In addition, export licensing requirements and process for the Netherlands.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Fluent in Dutch & English
- Excellent understanding of national and international trade requirements to align customs/trade function with business objectives.
- Identifies cutting edge analytical tools, models and methods for making key business decisions.
- Strong project management skills, with capability to manage cross functional teams in multiple geographies.
- Strong leadership skills including team-building and conflict resolution and management
- Excellent understanding in developing and managing trade compliance programs.
Supply Chain & Operations
Hewlett Packard Enterprise is EEO F/M/Protected Veteran/ Individual with Disabilities.
HPE will comply with all applicable laws related to the use of arrest and conviction records, including the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and similar laws and will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories.
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Senior Manager, Community Engagement
Rebecca is responsible for educating and inspiring HPE employees to become involved in the communities around them, then ensuring they’re each recognized for their contributions.
Back to top