Intermediate Security Event Analyst
The Security Operations Center (SOC) Event Analyst is a key member of a team proactively managing IT security on behalf of customers to reduce the impact of security incidents and system compromises. The Event Analyst provides front line security monitoring, threat analysis, trend analysis and countermeasure proposals of client IDS, IPS, firewall, Windows, UNIX, Proxy security events. You will be joining the recently established Canadian SOC catering to the Canadian marketplace but will operate within the global worldwide HPE security services context. Security services are a key priority at HPE and the Managed Security Services provide exciting opportunities to learn and work in a world-class environment.
This is an entry/intermediate level position but previous technical background in security or networking is highly desirable. The candidate is expected to quickly master security event analysis, information and network security concepts and techniques and then be capable to master higher level concepts and activities on their own initiative. An analyst must possess a keen curiosity and innate passion to learn security.
- Detect security issues, create customer tickets, triage or analyze events, manage problems until closure
- Coordinate escalations and collaborate with internal technology teams to ensure timely resolution of issues
- Ensure that Service Level Agreements are met
- Report common and repeat problems (trend analysis) to management and propose process and technical improvements
- Follow established best practice process and procedures but also able to take initiative and embark on investigations on their own initiatives
- As assigned and on volunteer basis, contribute to continual improvement of team procedures, tools and techniques
- Provide clients (internal and external) with the best possible customer experience during all interactions
- Document and track work via the trouble ticketing system
- Work in a 24/7/365 environment with 12 hours shifts including rotations with night shifts
- Perform other essential duties as assigned
Technical Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Networking knowledge and experience: Internet connectivity, protocols and networking: TCP/IP, routing, addressing, ISO seven layers
- Security devices: firewalls, proxy, IDS, IPS, AV (preferred)
- Packet analysis tools, tcpdump, Wireshark, ngrep, etc.
- UNIX/Linux, Windows operating systems, daemons, scripting, etc.
- Enterprise Security Information Management systems
- General knowledge of malware, attack methods, toolsets
Other Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Passion for the security and desire to become proficient in all aspects of information and network security, vulnerabilities, and threats
- Investigative and analytical problem solving skills: natural curiosity to dig into the root causes of security events
- Strong troubleshooting, reasoning and problem solving skills
- Autodidactic: ability to learn on their own new concepts and techniques
- Team player but able and be trusted to perform autonomously under pressure
- Efficient communications and presentation skills (listen, write, oral)
- Ability to effectively advocate a point of view or explain complex concepts
- Global effectiveness to work in a complex corporate environment with many tools, procedures and interlocutors.
- Effective personal time management and organizational skills
- Strong personal computing skills to build and maintain various tools and specialized applications
- Good judgement under pressure or when working alone
- Ability to obtain Security certification or higher.
- Experience in helpdesk or technical support (preferred)
- Possession or ability to obtain and maintain Government of Canada level 2 (secret) security clearance.
- College Degree required or equivalent experience, computer information systems desirable
- Certifications in CCSP/CCNP, MCP/MCSE, Security , CISSP are highly desirable
Thanks for taking the time to review our job, if you think it is a match to your experience and interests please apply today— we are eager to learn more about you! If you know a friend who may be a fit for the job please refer them.
Please note the above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not a complete list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
In order to satisfy our contractual obligations with clients, the successful candidate will be required to pass a basic, standard Criminal Records check. You will also be required to sign off on HPE’s Confidentiality, Non-Solicitation and Conflict of Interest Agreement.
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome the many dimensions of diversity.
Accommodation of special needs for qualified candidates may be considered within the framework of the HPE Accommodation Policy.
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top