HPE Director of Global Aviation
The Director of Global Aviation leads all facets of the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation organization, with ultimate responsibility for the safe, secure and efficient operation of all company and supplemental lift aircraft. Business aviation is an accelerator of top line revenue growth and enterprise profitability through the maximization of senior executive time, customer interface and in-person meetings at geographically dispersed locations.
Essential Responsibilities & Accountabilities
The Director of Global Aviation is responsible for establishing Aviation department direction and organizational results. S/he has ultimate responsibility for the development, implementation and administration of all policies and procedures for corporate flight operations in compliance with the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation General Operations Manual (GOM) and all applicable local, state, federal and international regulatory requirements.
The Director of Global Aviation has the ultimate ownership and responsibility for all Core Processes that drive Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation.
In concert with the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation Leadership Team, the Director of Global Aviation establishes and communicates department goals and objectives to ensure alignment in department direction and execution of the department mission, with a specific focus on safety and service, as well as operating and financial performance. S/he also ensures that effective talent attraction, development and retention programs are in place and utilized.
The Director of Global Aviation has functional responsibility for Flight Operations, Maintenance, Scheduling & Dispatch, Business Services, Executive Office Interface and Administrative Services. S/he has ultimate responsibility for the department-wide implementation of all continuous improvement initiatives, including the Safety Management System (SMS) and all applicable requirements of the IS-BAO standard.
The Director of Global Aviation has a primary passion for leadership and is willing to assume the role of a minimal or non-flying leader.
Other Related Responsibilities & Accountabilities:
- Maintains authority over all flight operations and oversees the standards of aircraft operation in accordance with the department FOM in collaboration with the Chief Pilot;
- Partner with Chief Maintenance and Chief Pilot to ensure compliance with all applicable local, state, federal and international regulatory requirements;
- Assumes operational control and ultimate responsibility for all department functions which impact operational control, including maintenance, flight operations and scheduling;
- Oversees the continuing process of IS-BAO registration in coordination with the senior executive levels of the corporation;
- Champions the continued development and deployment of the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation Safety Management System (SMS);
- Leads the Aviation Department to continually enhance the culture of safety in all areas of the operation;
- Oversees the development, exercising and continuous improvement of the Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation Emergency Response Plan (ERP);
- Builds positive working relationships with all members of the Hewlett Packard Enterprise senior executive leadership team;
- Promotes customer satisfaction and regularly solicits feedback for improvement from Hewlett Packard Enterprise Executive Committee (EC) members;
- Achieves department objectives by involving key Hewlett Packard Enterprise support functions and resource groups in decision-making (e.g., Finance, HR, IT Procurement, Legal, etc.);
- Exhibits a positive attitude of partnering and teaming with constituent groups both inside and outside of aviation;
- Develops and administers company programs, such as performance management, individual development and goal-setting, to communicate status and ensure that feedback is provided to all team members;
- Develops annual department operating and capital budgets and takes necessary actions to assure budget performance favorable-to-plan.
- Responsible to provide appropriate levels of technical, financial and operational resources to achieve desired business results;
- Utilizers innovative approaches to obtaining resources, on par with all other corporate entities;
- Identifies, measures and monitors financial and operating performance against corporate expectations and communicates them to the organization as appropriate;
- Champions the improvement of business processes that support high levels of customer service and the adoption of best-practices;
- Develops business and financial strategies to ensure performance to annual operating plan;
- Responsible for hiring, setting and monitoring of annual performance and individual development plans and provides coaching.
- Ensures that the proper resources are in place to support the Aviation team.
- Ensures that long-term plans are aligned with Hewlett Packard Enterprise Aviation’s business objectives.
- Acts as a key advisor to the reporting executive on the development of policies and long-term goals for the Aviation organization, including aviation security policies;
- Remains abreast of new development in business aviation, including new aircraft, equipment and technology;
- Responsible for the procurement of all outside services, including weather, consulting, brokers and major contract negotiations.
- Participates in the sale and procurement of aircraft and related support equipment, including purchase price, specification, warranties and maintenance;
- Ultimately responsible for all benchmarking activities;
- Ensures department compliance with business aviation best-practices through the monitoring of industry trends and peer group flight departments;
- Liaises with external regulatory agencies on all matters that affect aircraft operation, maintenance, safety and security;
- Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned by the Aviation reporting executive.
Location required: San Jose, CA
Demonstrated Proficiency in the Following Areas of Leadership:
- Vision – Inspires and motivates. Seeks innovative approaches to achieve the Vision and Mission of the organization. Receptive to new ideas and change. Entrepreneurial and thinks outside the box. Perseveres and accepts challenges.
- Communication – Possesses excellent written and verbal communication skills. Effectively expresses ideas in individual and group settings. Articulates and clearly imparts the concept. Is open-minded, people-oriented and approachable. An excellent listener who is eager to accept advice.
- Empowerment – Gives ownership of business processes to the process owner and creates organizational “space” to execute. Is comfortable with delegation. Exhibits complete confidence in his/her people with appropriate accountabilities.
- Customer Focus – Is customer-centric and focused on delivering customer satisfaction in all ways. Follows-through on customer concerns at every opportunity. Has well-developed skills for partnering and teaming with all constituent groups, supplier and customer, both inside and outside of the organization.
- Demeanor and Image – Projects confidence, is available and accessible. Has a positive attitude and sense of humor. Maintains self-control under pressure, has an even-temper and a calming effect in a crisis. Displays professionalism, maintains focus and is courageous. Is trustworthy, energetic, involves everyone and seeks inclusiveness. Shows gratitude, care, diplomacy and promotes teamwork. Leads by example and makes business fun.
- Business Acumen – Fiscally responsible and data-driven in all decision-making. Champions process-thinking and is focused on execution. Sets high standards of quality and ethical excellence. Highly evolved project and financial management skills. Intelligently uses all available assets and is well-organized. Establishes an efficient and effective organizational structure.
- Judgment – Is decisive and impartial. Willing to let things develop, but knows when to stop or say “no.” Sets actionable and realistic goals. Takes prudent risks and learns from mistakes.
- Development of Self and Others – Commits and engages in the creation of a learning organization. Shares and imparts knowledge, provides resources and tools. Places significant emphasis on the development of self and his/her people. Possesses a thorough knowledge of the human aspects of business. Is on a continual journey of self-discovery.
- Integrity – Ethical and honest in all interactions. Exhibits personal courage, maintains highest personal character and uncompromising integrity. Respects confidentiality and is humble. Values the power of diversity and demonstrates inclusiveness. Has the complete trust of his/her people.
Education & Licenses
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in Aviation, business or relevant discipline required; Master’s degree in Aviation, business or relevant discipline highly preferred; Certified Aviation Manager (CAM) designation preferred; Continuing education appropriate to the function (Darden Executive Education for Business Aviation, USC Safety Course, etc.) highly preferable.
Knowledge, Experience & Skills
- Minimum five (5) years as Director of Aviation or equivalent experience required;
- Extensive knowledge of all applicable FAA FAR chapters and ICAO regulations required;
- Excellent motivational and leadership skills.
- Exceptional interpersonal, influencing, oral and written communication skills that engage key stakeholder groups and produce desired outcomes both within the aviation organization and at the corporate level;
- Strategic thinker able to develop, gain broad support for and execute creative and innovative solutions to organizational challenges both within and external to the aviation organization;
- Track record of success interfacing with senior executives in a corporate environment;
- Highly developed analytical skills in operational and financial areas;
- Broad knowledge of all functions related to aircraft operations.
- Excellent project management and supervisory skills required.
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top