AS400 System Administrator - Limited Term
Enterprise Services, a Hewlett Packard Enterprise business unite, has an exciting opportunity for a AS400 System Administrator – Limited Term.This position represents the senior level position with HPE, AS400 Technical Support team to provide continuous service for the AS400 systems. The Senior Technical Analyst possesses an in-depth knowledge of procedural processes and works with minimal guidance and support of senior staff. The Senior Technical Analyst will possess solid technical and interpersonal skills.
- As part of a team, follows procedures to provide 4th level reactive and proactive management for ‘Mission Critical’ AS400 Systems.
- Identifies requirements for real-time alerts to notify appropriate support groups of a current or potential problem on the AS400 and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Regular, on-going review of the system and being responsible for identifying any fixes that would need to be applied to the system
- Analyze problems to determine root cause and identify possible corrective action.
- Works co-operatively with other departments within HPE to identify, analyze, and resolve incidents.
- Experience with products such as Vision products, BRMS and other common tools/products on the AS400.
Education and Experience Required:
8 years of professional experience and a Bachelor of Arts/Science or equivalent degree in computer science or related area of study; without a degree, three additional years of relevant professional experience (11 years in total).
Knowledge and Skills Required:
- Has sufficient depth and breadth of technical knowledge to design and scope multiple deliverables across a number of technologies.
- Has demonstrated innovation and communication of new deliverables and offerings. Has led team in the delivery of multiple deliverables across multiple technologies.
- Ability to develop solutions that enhance the availability, performance, maintainability and agility of a particular customer’s enterprise. Has contributed to the design and application of new tools. Ability to re-use existing experience to develop new solutions to take to market.
- Possesses an understanding, at a detailed level, of architectural dependencies of technologies in use in the customer’s Information Technology (IT) environment. Frequently uses product and application knowledge along with internals or architectural knowledge to develop solutions. A recognized expert in one or more technologies within own technical community and also at regional level. Holds a vendor or industry certification in at least one discipline area.
- Able to communicate with internal and external senior management confidently and demonstrate the professionalism of the job family.
- Ability to work in a multi technology environment with the ability to diagnose complex technical problems to their root cause. In addition to troubleshooting skills and consulting skills, has ability to summaries prognosis and impact at practice lead level. Ability to adapt a consulting style appropriate to the situation and can identify up-sell opportunities.
- Be able to demonstrate a broad understanding of market dynamics, an industry area, commercial issues, and technical concerns whilst maintaining depth in core focus area.
- Ability to present within own area of expertise as part of a customer sales presentation, putting forward domain-specific information within the context of an HPE sales campaign. Has demonstrated ability to lead others in the gathering of requirements, designs, plans and estimates. Able to produce complete proposals for smaller engagements within own area of expertise.
- Demonstrates broad knowledge in other technical areas in order to properly manage complex integration efforts. Demonstrates application of technical expertise in successful engagements involving multiple disciplines.
- Able to independently complete solution implementation or application design deliverables.
- Able to manage a team of consultants in the completion of one or more solution requirements, architecture, or implementation deliverable.
Individual should have extensive experience (8 plus years) in the following:
- Performing complex migrations of workload/data between data centers both physical to physical, logical to logical; at same OS version and to new OS version
- Engineering and executing the build of new AS400 environments
- Performing disaster recovery utilizing BRMS
- Planning and executing OS upgrades, firmware upgrades and HMC code upgrades
- Individual should also have extensive experience (5 plus years) in planning and executing Mimix installations and role-swaps.
Additionally the individual should have…
- Advanced technical knowledge to operate one or more technology areas (e.g. server administration, technical security management, performance management) or customer groups that are critical or high-risk. Integrate technical knowledge and business understanding to create superior solutions for HPE and for customers.
- Incident Management: Resolve single- and cross technology incidents independently. Work with team members to resolve unusually complex or cross technology incidents.
- Escalation Management: identify, manage, and lead escalations through L3. Work with others to help manage escalations through L5.
- Problem Management: Proactively and reactively look for solutions to prevent problems from occurring in team/technology area.
- Change Management/Implementation: Independently review, implement, and verify changes/solutions of high complexity and risk to meet customer and/or trade/HPE Information Technology (HPEIT) infrastructure needs. May lead or participate in a Change Advisory Board.
- Patch and Security Management: Apply patch and security changes per policy. Proactively monitor the environment for patch compliance. Analyze patches for compatibility with each customer or internal infrastructure environment.
- Configuration Management: Ensure Configuration Management Database (CMDB) entries are complete and accurate.
- Solution Design: Apply HPE solutions to meet highly complex customer and/or trade/HPEIT infrastructure needs.
- Quality: May provide feedback/influence change in internal and/or vendor-provided products/service offerings.
- Project Management: Participate, propose, and/or lead customer and internal projects across technology customers and/or internal businesses/end user areas, including transformation.
- Customer Relationship Management: Influence with customers and/or internal businesses/end users regarding operational details, solutions, and proposals. Becoming a trusted advisor to the customer.
- Teamwork: Work as part of a team, which may be virtual, global, and/or multi-functional. Lead teams which address operational processes and policies in work area. Seen as a resource to the team in one or more technical or business areas. Becoming a trusted advisor inside and outside the team/technology area.
Thanks for taking the time to review our job, if you think it is a match to your experience and interests please apply today— we are eager to learn more about you! If you know a friend who may be a fit for the job please refer them.
Please note the above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not a complete list of all required responsibilities, duties and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
In order to satisfy our contractual obligations with clients, the successful candidate will be required to pass a basic, standard Criminal Records check. You will also be required to sign off on HPE’s Confidentiality, Non-Solicitation and Conflict of Interest Agreement.
Hewlett-Packard Enterprise is an equal opportunity employer. We welcome the many dimensions of diversity.
Accommodation of special needs for qualified candidates may be considered within the framework of the HPE Accommodation Policy
Meet Some of Hewlett Packard Enterprise's Employees
Business Compensation Manager
Jeremy ensures all HPE employees are properly compensated for their contributions to the company, helping to retain top talent and market leaders for the organization.
Back to top