Mechanical Engineering Discipline Leader
- Los Angeles, CA
H arley Ellis Devereaux is searching for a Mechanical Engineering Discipline Leader for our Los Angeles office . This is a unique opportunity to grow personally and professionally in an expanding integrated design firm. Why is this opportunity different from other leadership roles in the industry? HED has been providing design as an integrated firm for almost a century. We are committed to growing and improving the integrated practice. This commitment can be illustrated several ways, with a key point being the makeup of our Board of Directors. The Board is a mix of architects and engineers who ensure that our internal commitments and long-range strategic plans are based on integrated solutions.
If you are looking for an opportunity to challenge yourself while advancing the world through integrated design, this role is made for you.
The Mechanical Engineering Discipline Leader is responsible for leading the overall design, technical quality and production activities of mechanical engineering services in the Los Angeles office. The leader will provide personnel management including staff recruitment, development and leadership. With the nature of our ongoing expansion the Engineering Discipline Leader shall engage with other regional offices to grow our offering and presence in the West through project sharing and support. The Engineering Leader will utilize existing and develop new relationships to grow HED's presence in the industry. The Mechanical EDL will partner with other engineering, architectural, and studio leaders both in Los Angeles and across our offices, with greatest focus on the West Region. This senior level position is highly visible to clients and employees, and as such requires maturity, assertiveness, integrity and the ability to lead, influence and persuade.
The Mechanical Engineering Discipline leader based in our Los Angeles office will lead and grow our mechanical engineering group. Technical experience in Higher Education, K-12, Science and Technology, Healthcare or Corporate Commercial is important in order to enhance our current offering. The successful candidate will regularly interface with both internal and external clients.
- L ead the discipline relative to all production and technical matters.
- L ead the quality of work developed by the team through review and by example.
- Provide technical assistance during the conceptual stages of a project.
- D evelop and manage project dates and hour budgets, direct and coordinate staff assignments and respect construction budgets.
- Develop work plans and hours with staff giving direction, priorities and goals aimed at providing technically sound, quality design within project budgets.
- Review project documents and procedures to ensure conformity with company standards.
- Review HED Project Timeline requirements to increase efficiencies and implement best standards of practice.
- W ork with Mechanical leadership throughout all offices to maintain corporate discipline reference details and template content.
- Represent the discipline at operations meetings.
- Conduct annual feedback reviews on employment anniversary date of staff while providing feedback on a regular basis
- Provide year-end salary and promotion recommendations.
- Manage a coordinated workload and staffing schedule.
- Recruit, develop and maintain the highest level of qualified professional staff available.
- Ascertain needs for training and educate staff through in-house seminars, discipline meetings and project mentoring.
- Motivate the staff to provide the highest quality design as part of an integrated team, interfacing with all disciplines.
- Assist in marketing efforts.
- Seal documents requiring permit and regulatory agency approvals.
- Remain current with the latest technological developments
- Represent the Company in the professional community.
- Function as a Project Team Leader, Project Manager or Principal-in-Charge when requested or required.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Corporate L eadership .
SKILL, KNOWLEDGE, EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering.
- Professional Licensure.
- LEED Accredited preferred.
- Minimum 15 years' professional experience with five years in Departmental Management.
- Extensive knowledge of all aspects of professional services from marketing through project close-out, including design and technical expertise.
- A comprehensive understanding of i nterdisciplinary coordination .
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational skills.
- Working knowledge of energy modeling and Revit a plus.
- Passion for sustainable and resilient design.
- Possess strong business acumen.
Other Job Information (if applicable):
- Capable of traveling to and from project sites for attending client, project and construction meetings.
- Ability to access existing and new project sites for observation, investigation and evaluation purposes.
- Ability to use equipment for communication and documentation purposes.
- Visual acuity to perform responsibilities.
This is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, efforts, or working conditions associated with the job. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of current job responsibilities, the right to revise the job or require that other or different tasks be performed when circumstances change (e.g., emergencies, changes in personnel, workload, time-sensitive assignments, or technological developments), may be required. In addition, please refer to the Employee Handbook for specific policy and procedure information.
Back to top