Working closely with Senior Director, Marketing and Communications, the Web Administrator will manage, coordinate, and strategize to advance Heartland Alliance's web presence, and play a critical role in advancing its electronic communications broadly. The Manager will both help develop strategy and execute tactics in the online arena to support Heartland Alliance's (HA's) strategic goals, especially in the areas of fundraising and brand-building.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
The Web Administrator is responsible for four key areas:
- The coordination, and daily maintenance of Heartland Alliance's external website—ensuring a well-designed, effective, up-to-date, and properly maintained website;
- The assembly, coordination, and production of HA's various email marketing and communications (e-newsletters, fundraising appeals, general announcements, etc.); and
- The development, coordination, and daily maintenance of HA's web-based constituent relationship management system (Luminate), and its integration with the web Analytics tied to the broader digital strategy, specifically website and email and event marketing; and supporting social media analytics.
Website Maintenance, Development, and Strategy
- Strategy: Continually assess and work closely with marketing and communications team members to develop strategies to improve use of e-communications tools to achieve fundraising, public policy/advocacy, fee-for-service, and brand-building goals, including but not limited to:
- New Media: identify new web functionalities, technologies, and media for attracting and engaging web users.
- Develop strategies to drive more traffic to HA's website, capitalize on trends in site visits, and leverage new, additional online tools and tactics (e.g. social networks, photo slide shows, video/photo resources, etc.)
- Content: Work closely with other communications team members to create, write,solicit, and edit content for web; package information appropriately for consumption on the Internet to promote visitor actions ( e.g. fundraising, email subscriptions, volunteerism)
- Web metrics and analytics: Continue development of web metrics; monitor and analyze web traffic and data; design and manage strategies to continually improve on these measures.
- Develop and manage online advertising in partnership with communications team, including (but not limited to) Google Adwords and Facebook advertising
- Training & customer service: Provide training and support to multiple Heartland Alliance content contributors on CMS and other aspects of web; Serve as initial internal contact for technical web and electronic communications questions, working with HA IT department, web vendors and consultants as needed to troubleshoot technical issues when problems arise.
- Technical assistance: Collaborate with HA program staff to discuss site development for their own needs and implementation plans; Provide technical assistance on web needs creating program pages and micro-sites as appropriate
- Design: Design and create simple graphics, photo images, banners, and other visual media for use on the website
- Vendor management: Work with outside vendors (e.g. designers and consultants) as necessary to maintain current system and implement new web elements
Email Marketing & Communications
- Strategy: Work with key communications team members to develop a strategy for electronic communications, including but not limited to the development of monthly e-newsletters, advocacy alerts and campaigns, etc.
- Content: Work with key communications team members to write, solicit, and edit content for electronic communications; package information appropriately for use in e-alerts/newsletters and other electronic vehicles.
- Email marketing: Work with key communications team members to design, test, publish, and post email communications through HA's suite of online tools
- Coordination: Collaborate with key communications team members to coordinate and manage a schedule of electronic communications.
- Analytics and reporting: Compile and analyze data on key email marketing benchmarks
- Vendor management: Work with vendors to design and modify email templates for HA's newsletters, fundraising solicitations, and general announcements
Electronic Constituent Relationship Management
- Develop, manage, and support HA's electronic constituent relationship management system (e-CRM)
- Manage coding and segmentation of electronic mailing lists in coordination with donor information systems team
- Work with fundraising department to coordinate data integration between Raiser's Edge and Luminate e-CRM
- Keep up-to-date with industry trends & developments, including new technologies, and propose new online and electronic capacities to enhance the Heartland Alliance's work.
- Participate in overall marketing and communications strategy planning for Heartland Alliance as a whole.
- Maintain integrity of Heartland Alliance branding in all aspects of online publishing, use of imagery, and graphics
- Respond quickly to urgent requests, manage breaking news on the web, and emergency appeals by email
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in communications, public relations, journalism, or a related field.
- Minimum four years relevant experience.
- Demonstrated experience and success in:
- developing Web site strategy and content
- developing online fundraising, outreach campaigns, and communications, and
- using and administering a content management system and constituent relationship management database (WordPress, Luminate and/or Raiser's Edge preferred)
- analytics, especially with Google Analytics and social media performance data
- "customer service" functions – working with a broad range of personalities and managing numerous demands across a large-scale organization
- Experience in nonprofit development desirable
- Graphic design background desirable
- Technology Skills
- Strong technology skills, including:
- Demonstrated use of web-based tools; proficiency using content management systems; basic understanding of HTML and/or other web authoring languages and understanding of file types
- Demonstrated use of constituent relationships management databases
- Ability to understand and communicate basic technical information to novice users of Web site and other electronic communications tools.
- Development Skills (Preferred, Not Required)
- Web development skills, including:
- Creating/editing themes and microsites in WordPress.
- Creating/editing CSS files in WordPress and CRM software.
- Testing and integrating WordPress plugins into multisite WordPress configuration.
- Knowledge of web-security best practices.
- Other Qualifications:
- Excellent project management skills.
- Excellent writing skills, particularly geared towards readers in the Web and electronic communications arena.
- Experience in online publishing, email marketing, and online constituent relationship management tools.
- Experience with CRM system functionality and use, such as Salesforce or Luminate.
- Demonstrated ability to generate creative, well-designed Web content and help tell stories online through pictures, designed text, etc.
- Experience with creating and measuring success of online efforts, including email.
- Basic understanding of user interface design principles; usability and accessibility issues, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to work in diverse teams, manage staff/consultants and also drive projects on your own.
- Strong interest in Heartland Alliance's issue areas.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.
Meet Some of Heartland Alliance's Employees
Dir., Northern Tier Anti-Trafficking Consortium
When Heartland Alliance identifies a survivor of human trafficking, it sends someone right away to help. It’s Megan’s job to maintain that network of trained support staff, ready to go.
Back to top