Technical Support Specialist
Job Classification: Technical Support Specialist
Schedule: HA 5
Reports To: Technical Support Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: The Technical Support Specialist installs, modifies and makes minor repairs to personal computer hardware and software systems, provides technical assistance and training to system users at multiple locations in the metropolitan areas. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects personal computer equipment and reads order sheet listing user requirements to prepare microcomputer for delivery
- Installs or assists service personnel in installation of hardware and peripheral components such as monitors, keyboards, printers and disk drives on users premises.
- Loads specified software packages such as operating systems, word processing or spreadsheet programs into computer
- Enters commands and observes system functions to verify correct system operation
- Responds to client inquires concerning systems operation and diagnoses system hardware, software and operator problems
- Instructs users in use of equipment, software and manuals
- Recommends or performs minor remedial actions to correct problems
- Coordinates activities with helpdesk, network services or other information systems groups
- Provides updates, status and completion of information to manager, problem request tracking system and/or users via voice mail, email or in person communication.
- Replaces defective or inadequate software packages
- Refers major hardware problems to service personnel for correction.
- Monitors ticket queues and serve as first point of contact for technical assistance
- Adheres to all organization policies including those in regard to software distribution and license compliance
- Carries a cellular phone or live PDA device on a rotational basis and responds to and escalates Help desk requests outside of normal business hours.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Associates degree (A.A) or equivalent from two year college or technical school or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Language Skills: Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Ability to perform basic trouble shooting on computer equipment.
- Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have or be willing to acquire knowledge of Internet Explorer, Outlook/Exchange; Windows operating systems; and other software routinely used by Heartland Alliance.
- Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Valid driver’s license; The Technical Support Specialist is expected to engage in regular professional develop, and to possess and maintain those certificates that are typically held by employees in similar positions.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel;
- reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee is occasionally required to sit.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to risk of electrical shock.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
- The employee must be able to legally operate an agency owned or rented motor vehicle for transportation of equipment and to certain work sites.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization’s AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.
Back to top