Senior Payroll Coordinator (READI Chicago)
Job Classification: Senior Payroll Coordinator
Salary Classification: ADM 2
Reports To: Payroll Manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
Prepared date: June 2017
Summary: Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights is a global anti-poverty and human rights organization that has been tackling society's toughest challenges since 1888. Today, we serve the most marginalized people in society, including immigrants and refugees, people experiencing homelessness, and survivors of violence and torture. We believe that society is better for everyone when all of us can participate, prosper, and reach our full potential.
Heartland Alliance is coordinating READI (Rapid Employment and Development Initiative) Chicago, a network of community-based organizations on Chicago's South and West Sides that will engage individuals at the highest risk of becoming victims or perpetrators of gun violence in an 18-month wage-subsidized transitional job (TJ) and cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) program, followed by up to six months of follow-up case management and coaching support. This Senior Payroll Coordinator will support this new strategic initiative for which Heartland Alliance will serve as the fiscal sponsor and employer of record.
The goals of READI Chicago are to decrease shootings and homicides among those at highest risk of gun violence; create new opportunities for these same individuals to change their life trajectory and decrease their involvement with the criminal justice system; and help build an infrastructure at the community level to promote long-term safety and opportunity in Chicago's most impoverished communities. The Crime and Poverty Labs at the University of Chicago will lead the program evaluation and we will also partner with the City of Chicago, the Cook County Sheriff's Office, and the Illinois Department of Corrections.
As a partner in the planning and implementation of READI Chicago, the Senior Payroll Coordinator performs all activities necessary to process all payrolls on a weekly basis, including orienting partner agencies and transitional jobs participants on payroll protocols, uploading employee registration information, complete new employee establishment into payroll systems and time system management, maintaining related records, filing tax reports and voluntary deduction reports, processing involuntary deductions such as levies and garnishments, preparing accounting transactions and documents, documenting and updating procedures, and preparing special reports management. The Senior Payroll Coordinator also processes and maintains confidential employee records.
This position manages the day to day relationship between ADP and READI Chicago, a program supporting transitional jobs participants in three to five communities affected by violence, and several subcontractor agencies providing direct services in these communities. The Senior Payroll Coordinator also has accountability for maintaining a proper control environment to ensure that only authorized employees are paid.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Ensures timely, accurate and confidential payroll processing in accordance with company-established business operating procedures, external regulations, payroll policies, vendor processing requirements, and internal department support
- Processes payroll through electronic HRIS/Payroll systems, time input, adjustments, processing, and distribution of payroll
- Manages ETime database for READI Chicago participants
- Assists new READI Chicago employees in ADP Self Service Portal registration
- Submits help desk tickets regarding all HRIS/Payroll/Employee time systems
- Has working knowledge of Illinois payroll laws, rules, and guidelines
- Processes wage verifications, garnishments, child support payments, etc.
- Balances and controls earnings and deduction totals; checks and audits timekeeping records for compliance with established standards
- Enters, verifies, and updates payroll allocations for accurate cost accounting Enters and updates employee information into the payroll system, posting changes in pay and tax status and miscellaneous changes
- Inspects automated system output such as registers and standard reports; determines and corrects out-of-balance conditions
- Completes special projects and assists with payroll-related audits
- Reviews tax reports, gathering payroll data for inclusion in financial statements
- Responsible for establishing all required federal and state tax documents and company identifiers
- Coordinates and communicates changes in taxes, unemployment, workers compensation, and other payroll related filings to appropriate departments
- Investigates, analyzes and resolves employee issues in a timely manner, related to payroll processing
- Provides excellent customer service as it relates to payroll
- Documents and updates procedures, researching and preparing special reports for management as needed
- Addresses payroll concerns of READI Chicago transitional jobs participants in an efficient and respectful manner
- Liaises with READI Chicago program staff and subcontractor agencies in executing payroll functions and addressing employee questions and concerns
- Assists READI Chicago program staff in tracking and reporting on payroll-related program outcomes
- Performs other related duties as assigned
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The qualifications listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Bachelor's degree and three years of recent hands-on payroll processing experience
- Certified Payroll Professional or similar designation
- Fluent in English
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Internet Explorer, Windows operating systems
- General understanding of Human Resources Information System
- Proficiency in payroll software required, recent ADP-payroll and E-Time related experience are preferred
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy and experience performing timely work in an organized and efficient manner with minimal direction
- Demonstrated ability to maintain confidentiality of employee information
- Strong analytical, problem-solving, and communications skills
- Commitment to work in a team environment and demonstrating positive attitude
- Commitment to quality programming and excellence in organizational effectiveness, demonstrated by excellent customer service skills, ability to collaborate effectively with multiple stakeholders, and ability to offer interactive orientations and trainings as needed
- Demonstrated experience working with the target population
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is frequently required to use hands to key, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise in the work environment is moderate.
- May be required to travel to sub-award sites for trouble shooting and capacity building, sites may be in Chicago neighborhoods impacted by high levels of gun violence.
Meet Some of Heartland Alliance's Employees
Dir., Northern Tier Anti-Trafficking Consortium
When Heartland Alliance identifies a survivor of human trafficking, it sends someone right away to help. It’s Megan’s job to maintain that network of trained support staff, ready to go.
Back to top