Summary: This position develops and implements curricula and provides classroom instruction in accord with program guidelines and contractual obligations. While engaging in academic, recreational and physical education activities, the Residential Instructor monitors and supervises program participants and ensures a safe and secure environment both on site and during off-site activities. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops and implements lesson plans and curricula in accord with program guidelines and ensures appropriate documentation and record-keeping.
- Provides culturally competent classroom instruction to students in grades K-12 in various subject areas, including but not limited to ESL, math, science and health.
- Engages in physical education activities and instruction, including but not limited to swimming, basketball and soccer.
- Monitors and supervises program participants individually and in groups.
- Ensures a safe and secure environment for program participants and staff on-site and during off-site activities.
- Helps program participant to modify attitudes and patterns of behavior by increasing understanding of self, personal problems, and program participant’s part in creating them.
- Provides transportation of program participants, as assigned.
- In addition to performing the above mentioned job duties, the lead worker will also be required to perform various coordinating and training duties. These include, but are not limited to such things as preparing and monitoring staffing assignments, training employees how to perform certain job duties and suggesting how employees can improve their job performance.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Household maintenance duties such as meals, laundry and hygiene instruction may occasionally be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelors Degree and two years teaching experience or related teaching experience, such as tutoring, mentoring, coaching, classroom facilitation, etc .
- Other Qualifications: A valid driver’s license required. Must successfully pass a background check.
- Preferred Qualifications : Experience teaching English as a Second Language (ESL) preferred. Expertise in a particular subject area may be required.
- Language Skills: Excellent written and oral communication skills. Fluency in a second language may be required.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Back to top