Lebanon Country Representative
About the Organization:
Heartland Alliance International (HAI) is the youngest and fastest growing part of Heartland Alliance for Human Needs & Human Rights, which is a family of organizations that has been leading anti-poverty and social justice work in Chicago for more than 125 years. HAI is comprised of nearly a dozen country offices operating programs on a broad range of human rights issues globally as well as the Chicago-based Marjorie Kovler Center for the Treatment of Survivors of Torture, which serves individuals from more than 50 countries. HAI is making significant investments in its programming and leadership in the fields of trauma-informed mental health care and access to justice for marginalized people. It is also an industry leader in access to high-quality and stigma-free health care. Across all of its programs, HAI promotes progressive, innovative approaches to human rights protection and gender equality.
In Lebanon, HAI provides holistic services focusing on psychosocial support, violence prevention, livelihoods strengthening, and social cohesion to diverse vulnerable populations affected by the Syrian refugee crisis, including women and girls, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and intersex (LGBTI) individuals, and survivors of sexual and gender based violence (SGBV), torture, and trauma.
Work Base: Beirut, Lebanon
Overview : Responsible for leading HAI’s program development efforts in Lebanon and increase HAI Lebanon’s profile and reputation within the donor community , including representing HAI Lebanon’s expertise at professional meetings and events, proactively conducting acquisition of locally available donor funding, i dentifying donor resources, raising funds, and lead writing proposals for long-term organizational sustainability.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Funding Opportunity Identification and Proposal Writing
- Conduct environmental scan of current and upcoming funding opportunities to grow HAI programming in Lebanon, which would include an analysis of which donors and funding mechanisms represent the most strategic and high value opportunities for HAI and strategies for diversification of funding.
- In line with the findings from the environmental scan, work closely with the Acting MENA Regional Director and Lebanon Team to develop and implement a business development work plan for Lebanon, including writing concept notes, making connections to new potential donors, and generating project ideas and project proposals.
- Coordinate program development processes, including serving as lead writer for proposals in Lebanon.
- In coordination with the Lebanon Team, lead the development of innovative project design ideas – based on organizational learning, best practice, and identified needs/gaps – and liaise with the Chicago program development team to develop proposals and proposal timelines.
- Undertake independent research in finding alternative resources for long-term sustainability of the organization. Undertake online research, build contacts with potential individual donors, and raise funds for the activities of the organization.
- Compile and maintain a database of international and local donor organizations (international foundations, bilateral and multilateral agencies, and private corporations offering donations)
- Regularly monitor donor websites, identify, and inform HAI of donor opportunities matching the work of the organization.
Internal and External Representation of Programs and Funding Strategies
- Work closely with the Lebanon Team to increase HAI Lebanon’s profile, reposition the organization, and enhance HAI Lebanon’s reputation within the donor community.
- Participate in all relevant working groups on behalf of HAI Lebanon and professionally represent HAI’s expertise at meetings and events.
- Represents programs internally and externally to potential donors and peer agencies: establishes productive, ongoing relationships with high-level administrative and professional personnel in relevant service fields, both private and public
- Maintain relationships with existing donors, respond to their requests regularly, and regularly arrange and attend meetings with them to provide updates about the work of the organization and learn of funding opportunities.
- Organize or provide assistance in organizing any fundraising events for the organization.
- Oversee the preparation of high quality narrative reports for donors, ensuring they are in line with donor guidelines and demonstrate sound resource management, judgement, continual improvement, accountability, and with analysis and documentation of outcomes and program learning,
Knowledge, Experience, and Skills:
- Fluent English writing skills and ability to write and design proposals
- Strong networking skills and partnership development skills
- Extensive knowledge and experience with one of the following areas:
- HAI program development systems and HAI programs
- Lebanon program development environment, including connections with local donors, partners, and ministries
- Knowledge of fundraising best practices.
- Knowledge of donors that support humanitarian and human rights work (e.g. USAID, the U.S. State Department, UN agencies, other bilateral donors).
- Knowledge of program design, monitoring, evaluation, and reporting.
- Legal background is an asset (relevant specialization(s)).
- Significant senior fundraising experience within the charity sector.
- A proven record of accomplishments of raised funds from major donors.
- Experience in the development and implementation of strategic plans.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Tenacity in seeking results and a high level of representational and negotiation skills.
- Creative, flexible character and a generator of new ideas.
- Experience in or familiarity with Lebanon and/or the Syrian crisis.
- 2-3 years of relevant experience
Please Provide in your Application:
- A cover letter describing your relevant qualifications for this position
- Curriculum Vitae
- Writing Sample demonstrating your fundraising, program design, and/or proposal writing skills
- 3 references
Meet Some of Heartland Alliance's Employees
Assoc. Dir., National Transitional Jobs Network
When people come to Heartland Alliance for help finding a job, Melissa is on point. She manages the largest nationwide coalition that focuses on improving access to employment.
Back to top