Chief Information Officer
Job Classification: Chief Information Officer
Summary: The Chief Information Officer will provide technology vision and leadership to Heartland Alliance and serves as a strategic technical advisor to the Executive Team. The Chief Information Officer leads strategy, planning, implementation, and maintenance of information systems, including data services and business intelligence, to support distributed programmatic operations and centralized business operations to achieve more effective and cost beneficial enterprise-wide IT operations. The Chief Information Officer manages the direction, planning, implementation, and maintenance of technology security measures to protect electronic data and information. The Chief Information Officer reports to the President of Heartland Alliance. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- In partnership with Executive Management, identify opportunities to provide web-based support and options, including identification of competitive services, opportunities for innovation, and assessment of challenges and hurdles to business success to provide pro-active suggestions
- Obtains resources (people, funding, material, support) to achieve the strategic priorities and goals of Heartland Alliance
- Advise the Executive team on strategic system conversions and integrations in support of business goals and objectives
- In partnership with Executive team, designs, builds and manages a new unit and infrastructure for data collection, analytics, visualization and reporting for business intelligence and impact measurement
- Communicates the company’s technology strategy to management, staff, partners, and stakeholders.
- Develops and monitors annual budgets for information and technology systems
- Identifies technology trends and evolving social behavior that may support or impede the success of the business
- Plans proactively, organizes work and mobilizes resources against key priorities, initiates actions and drives decisions, maintains focus on priorities, and is accountable
- Sets operational priorities for direct reports and other programmatic units in an objective manner
- Collaborates with the leaders of Heartland Alliance companies to assess and recommend technologies that support organizational needs
- Oversees the development, maintenance, and communication of systems documentation, policies, and procedures
- Develops a strong team culture through training and effective organizational development practices
- Develops and maintains cybersecurity standards, policies and procedures
- Directs development and execution of an enterprise-wide information security plan that protects the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the company’s data and servers
- Guides risk assessment activities to identify, evaluate, and mitigate risks to IT assets and data including disaster recovery and business continuity planning
- Recommends internal controls and risk management strategies to reduce risks and ensure regulatory compliance
- Serves as organization HIPAA Security Officer
- Develops and maintains company infrastructure to support and guide individual departments in computing, information technology, and specific program data needs
- Provides leadership in the design, selection, acquisition, and implementation of major information technologies and systems
- Oversees the establishment of standard data models and data quality measures
- Builds capabilities to make data available, consistent, secure, and timely to support organization activities
- Develops strategy for data linkage to external systems (e.g. government, vendors, and other organizations) and the organizations resources
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelors’ degree in Computer Science, Business Administration or a related field required with a thorough understanding of business the technology is supporting
- Minimum of 10 years’ experience with increasing responsibilities for management positions
- 5+ years’ experience in IT project management that incudes financial/budget management and resource management and the ability to manage multiple large projects concurrently
- Experience with innovation and is optimistic about change, takes calculated risks
- Proficiency in some or all of the following tools/technologies: LAN/WAN networking, Active Directory, Firewalls, Windows Server OS, and WiFi
- Extensive experience balancing a complex organization, maintaining and servicing existing solutions, while building new solutions and capabilities
- Minimum of 5 years of previous work experience with multiple server and multiple technology systems
- Master’s Degree in computer science, information systems, engineering, public administration, business administration or a related field is preferred, but not required
- Demonstrated ability to grasp the big picture and reconcile it with the immediate need to deliver projects that incrementally build toward the big picture
- Demonstrated ability to build effective, cohesive and collaborative team
Computer Skills: To perform this job successfully, experience should include exposure to both shared and outsourced solutions, as well as support of in-house information and communication systems in a multi-site client-server environment. Additional requirements include:
- Familiarity with desktop, notebook, handheld, and server computer hardware and software
- Familiarity with local and wide area network design, implementation, and operation
- Knowledge of various office productivity software programs such as word processing, databases, spreadsheet programs, and communications software
- General knowledge of business processes and their interrelationship gained through related experience
- Ability to analyze and resolve complex issues, both logical and interpersonal
Language Skills : Ability to read, analyze, and prepare written narratives for organizational leadership. Ability to respond to common inquiries or questions from management, staff, and third parties. Ability to effectively present information to top management, staff, and Board members both verbally and in writing.
Reasoning Ability: Strong analytical ability required. Ability to identify problems, ask questions, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables. Working familiarity with technology vendor contract language, parameters, and industry standards.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear.
- The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk.
- The employee is regularly required to use hands to key, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, climb and/or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be required to remain on Organization premises during breaks and/or meal periods and may be required to stay on Organization premises until their replacement arrives.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outside weather conditions.
- The noise in the work environment is moderate.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization’s AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.
Back to top