Summary: This position provides a broad range of basic casework services within guidelines established by the Organization and specific programs. Populations served will vary by program but may include: children; adults; families; immigrants; refugees; and individuals with mental illness, HIV/AIDS and/or substance use issues. Individual accountabilities and work volume will be established through the development of annual Success Objectives, within the framework outlined below.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides basic advocacy, assessment, and case work services to individuals, families and groups.
- Conducts outreach and intake as assigned.
- Participates as assigned in the implementation of counseling, education or activity groups.
- Supervises program participants individually or in groups.
- Helps program participant to modify attitudes and patterns of behavior by increasing understanding of self, personal problems, and program participant's part in creating them.
- Provides financial assistance and support to program participants, in accord with Organizational policies and procedures.
- Provides assistance to program participants in accord with Organization policies and procedures and in conjunction with total service plans.
- Performs community contact work on basic aspects of programs or cases and assists in providing services to program participants.
- Develops and maintains resource files and assigned professional relationships with social service, government and other community organizations to enhance service delivery.
- Completes accurately and in a timely manner all necessary forms, case records and statistical reports. Submits such documentation to the supervisor/manager within the designated time lines.
- Participates and contributes actively in regular supervisory and team/unit meeting, in house training sessions, conferences, seminars and independent study.
- Adheres to professional standards as outlined by governmental bodies, NASW (and/or other appropriate professional associations), private funding sources, Organization plans/policies and program guidelines. Participates in periodic evaluative reviews and/or in-house and external staff training to ensure that he/she understands and continues to adhere to such standards. Initiates requests for assistance from Supervisor to address new issues or complex concepts affecting adherence to professional standards.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Additional Duties and Responsibilities:
- Transportation of program participants and/or Organizational property may be required.
- In residential programs, household maintenance responsibilities may be assigned.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Education and/or Experience: High school diploma or equivalent and minimum of three years experience in case work, human services or related field, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Language Skills: Fluency in a second language is required. Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
- Other Qualifications: A valid driver's license may be required.
- Mathematical Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The employee may be required to remain on Organization premises during breaks and/or meal periods and may be required to stay on Organization premises until their replacement arrives.
- May be required to visit clients in their homes or in institutions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
- The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
Heartland Alliance makes all hiring and employment decisions, and operates all programs, services, and functions without regard to race, receipt of an order of protection, creed, color, age, gender, gender identity, marital or parental status, religion, ancestry, national origin, amnesty, physical or mental disability, protected veterans status, genetic information, sexual orientation, immigrant status, political affiliation or belief, use of FMLA, VESSA, military, and family military rights, ex-offender status (depending on the offense and position to be filled), unfavorable military discharge, membership in an organization whose primary purpose is the protection of civil rights or improvement of living conditions and human relations, height, weight, or HIV infection, in accord with the organization's AIDS Policy Statement of September 1987.
Meet Some of Heartland Alliance's Employees
Dir., Northern Tier Anti-Trafficking Consortium
When Heartland Alliance identifies a survivor of human trafficking, it sends someone right away to help. It’s Megan’s job to maintain that network of trained support staff, ready to go.
Back to top