Database Architect / Data Science
Position at Corporate Technology
The Data Services team at Hearst, part of Corporate Technology, is responsible for a number of big data sources that power products used throughout the organization. The Database Administrator will be a key member of the team, having responsibility for the design and maintenance of key pieces of the Hearst Data Warehouse. We ingest many terabytes of data each day from a wide variety of internal and external sources; virtually all of that data is stored in databases at some point. The DBA will take ownership of a number of Amazon Redshift clusters, our Google BigQuery implementation, as well as other smaller databases on a variety of platforms, and will ensure their integrity and resilience.
Skills & Requirements
- 3+ years experience with Amazon Redshift; experience with MySQL is a plus, experience with Google BigQuery is a big plus
- AWS management and usage is required.
- Must include significant experience with database design and optimization including writing and executing DDL statements
- Understanding of database performance and tuning. Must have a solid understanding of Redshift distribution and sort keys and column encodings.
- Strong working knowledge of AWS – must have experience spinning up and resizing Redshift clusters, be familiar with RDS, and know how to install a database on an ec2 instance
- Demonstrable experience with issue detection and resolution; be ready to provide examples
- Working knowledge of backup and recovery procedures
- Ability to provide guidance to data scientists, engineers and other team members
- Documentation skills for processes and procedures
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, DynamoDB, and MongoDB is a big plus
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Comfort with Python, BASH scripting and crons
Meet Some of Hearst Magazines's Employees
Assistant to the Editor-In-Chief
Whether she is making travel arrangements or managing Glenda Bailey’s extraordinarily busy calendar, Nana helps keep the editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar on track with every task she undertakes.
Back to top