Data Scientist / Data Science
Position at Corporate Technology
Hearst Corporate Technology Group
Do you want to be at the leading edge of the big data transformation of a billion dollar Media Company? Do you want to help cultivate a petabyte-scale data platform and develop innovative new data services that will lead in the new era of publishing? Does the news and information world feel cluttered and disjointed to you? If you want to change that today, you need to start with the data. Come join the Hearst Corporation's Data Sciences team and make a difference by managing one of the largest data platforms in publishing world today.
The Hearst Corporation is one of the nation's largest diversified media and information companies. Its major interests include magazine, newspaper and business publishing, cable networks, television and radio broadcasting, Internet businesses, TV production and distribution, newspaper features distribution, business information and real estate.
The Data Sciences team is a function reporting to the CTO tasked with developing Hearst's enterprise-wide data capital and promoting business decision-making utilizing that data. This involves managing a company-wide platform, the Hearst Data Warehouse. This petabyte-scale platform ingests data from all of Hearst's businesses (digital and non-digital) and provides consolidated data services (e.g. API or other forms) back to internal team and external clients. The platform relies heavily on AWS products and services (S3, Kinesis, EC2, Redshift, etc.). The successful candidate is "a doer" who offers innovative solutions through a combination of creative thinking and deep understanding of the problem space. He or she will help define and implement new processes on the Hearst Data Warehouse platform and work closely with other Data Scientists to transform Big Data into model-ready forms to support analytic projects.
This position reports to the VP of Data Services.
- Develop technology platform on AWS cloud that will support Big Data processing and analytics behind Hearst Data Warehouse platform
- Write ETL and Data Transformation processes and jobs for Hearst Data Warehouse platform, using most suitable applications and tools on top of Apache Hadoop
- Identify, analyze and resolve technical problems with Hearst Data Warehouse platform and related ecosystem
- Manage Big Data infrastructure for Hearst Data Warehouse production and development environments
- Experiment with emerging technologies related to Big Data initiatives for Hearst Data Warehouse platform
- Work closely with Data Engineering and Data Visualization teams to implement technical needs and expectations
- Schedule and coordinate monitor progress and completion of all jobs and take corrective action as needed
Qualifications and Experience
- 5-10+ years of software development experience scaling applications on Big Data platforms
- Familiar with scripting languages (Bash, Python, PHP, etc.)
- Comfortable with AWS cloud (S3, EC2, EMR, Redshift, etc.)
- Experience with source code management systems such as Github
- Self-starter who is excited about data and new data techniques
- Team player who wants to both teach others and learn from others
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, Mathematics, or Computer Science
Meet Some of Hearst Magazines's Employees
Assistant to the Editor-In-Chief
Whether she is making travel arrangements or managing Glenda Bailey’s extraordinarily busy calendar, Nana helps keep the editor-in-chief of Harper’s Bazaar on track with every task she undertakes.
Back to top