Software Engineer, Hearst Magazines Digital Media
Hearst Corporation reaches more than 100 million people around the world every month on digital platforms connected to loved and trusted brands like Cosmopolitan, the Houston Chronicle, and 29 television stations. We’re crafting new, elegant digital experiences that make our stories – like #cosmovotes, local news that matters, trusted reviews, and entertainment – come to life, across all platforms, devices, and brands. Check out our recent work, unifying our publishing tools and user experiences to enable talented editorial teams to tell more engaging stories more often.
We’re creating a game-changing modern content technology stack – built from the ground up to give our users, editors, and advertisers tools that enable them to tell these amazing stories. We’re using modern web technologies to do this, like Python (primary language for this position), PHP and memcached. We’re building an open, service-oriented platform driven by APIs, and believe passionately in crafting simple, elegant solutions to complex technological and product problems.
We’re hiring talented and passionate Software Engineers to solve problems as we build out our new platform. The ideal candidate has extensive experience working with distributed, service oriented architecture (SOA) systems, writing clean object-oriented code, worked with RESTful APIs and has worked in cloud based environments like AWS.
- Be part of the team that will architecture and build Hearst’s content platform
- Participate in software design decisions
- Write expressive code that is efficient and extensible
- Be an active part of a larger internal open source community of developers at Hearst
- Be ready to adapt and extend the architectural plan as new product goals and technical challenges emerge in our agile, continuous development environment
Desired Skills and Experience
Skills & Requirements
- B.S. Computer Science or Internet Engineering
- At least 3 years in a role building distributed SOA software systems for consumer-facing, preferably content-focused, web applications at large scale
- Demonstrably robust experience with:
o SaaS design / RESTful API integration
o Understanding relational databases / data models
o Working in an Agile development team (Scrum highly desired)
o Performance tuning / caching strategies
This role is based at Hearst’s global headquarters in New York City.
Back to top