Social Media Editor, Hearst Magazines Digital Media/Country Living
Are you obsessed with Fixer Upper? Do you think cocktails simply taste better in a Mason jar? Do you have a soft spot for flea markets? Do you spend more time than you’d like to admit on Pinterest, Instagram, and Etsy? The editorial team that manages both CountryLiving.com & WomansDay.com is looking for a superstar social media editor to join our NYC-based web team. The social media editor will manage the social media extensions for CountryLiving.com, one of the magazine world’s most engaging digital brands, with a combined following of 6 million fans across Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, working with the site director and deputy web editor to implement audience development strategies to increase followers and traffic referrals across both sites. Must be a college grad with at least a year of social media experience.
Key responsibilities include:
- Overseeing overall strategy and daily programming of CountryLiving.com’s Facebook, Pinterest, Instagram, Twitter and Google+ accounts, under direction from the Deputy Web Editor and with help from interns.
- Working with the editorial team to create original content that’s optimized for social platforms by tracking emerging news and trending social topics that are relevant to our audiences, and updating the web team in real-time to find ways for the sites to participate in the conversation.
- Pitching and writing social-first editorial content, both newsy and evergreen, for both CountryLiving.com and WomansDay.com. (2+ stories a day)
- Overseeing social partnerships with HDM sister sites, partner brands, bloggers and more to help grow audience reach.
- Working with our social video producer to pitch and produce real-time social events, including Instagram stories and takeovers, live videos, social chats, and more.
- Tracking performance of social media posts and referrals daily to help guide editorial strategy.
- Monitoring stories that are performing well for other Hearst sites, and syndicating articles those that would work on CountryLiving.com
- Supporting the Country Living’s marketing teams in any social-related promotions, particularly around the Country Living Fairs.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 1-2 years experience writing lifestyle content
- Experience working with social media for a major brand, with a proven track record for increasing followers, engagement, and traffic
- Daily knowledge of Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest and Twitter trends and key competitive brands online
- Familiarity with Omniture, Chartbeat, Google Analytics, or similar reporting tools — and experience tracking them daily
- Experience with basic HTML, content management systems, social media scheduling systems like SocialFlow, HootSuite or Sprinklr, and other basic digital production tools
- Strategic thinker willing to push the envelope and bring fresh, innovative ideas to life
- Top-notch organization skills and attention to detail
- A sense of humor and a clear, creative, snappy writing style
- Experience producing multimedia and/or knowledge of video- and photo-editing platforms a plus
Back to top