Director, Public Relations
The Director of Public Relations is responsible for consumer and trade publicity for Hearst Magazines Digital Media as a division and 21 Hearst digital brands, including Cosmopolitan.com; ELLE.com; HarpersBAZAAR.com, Esquire.com, and Delish.com. This position brings daily interaction with senior executives and editors across the division. The role oversees a PR manager whose focus is consumer press, and will grow the team.
The candidate will have at least eight years of direct experience in publicity/public relations, with a concentration in digital media and a track record of generating results with consumer media in broadcast, print and online, as well as success in business and media trade placement. The candidate must possess strong media contacts, an in-depth knowledge of trends in digital, social media and marketing, and needs to have a creative and strategic mind. Must be able to manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Generate positive media coverage and promote the content and talent of Hearst Magazines Digital Media and its brands in consumer media outlets and trade outlets.
- Pitch editorial content with a focus on features.
- Promote overall business initiatives of Hearst Magazines Digital Media and its brands in the business, tech and media trade, including publicizing innovative sales and marketing initiatives.
- Develop long- and short-term PR strategies
- Develop and maintain relationships with key media in the entertainment, lifestyle, fashion and news categories across print, digital and broadcast media, and in business and tech categories.
- Establish and maintain relationships across HMDM to ensure every PR opportunity is maximized.
- Work directly with editors and senior staff to prepare for media opportunities.
- Conceptualize and develop written materials, including press releases, briefing materials, pitch letters and other communications.
- Pinpoint and secure speaking engagements and event opportunities, and oversee awards submissions.
- Support internal communications efforts alongside rest of the industry marketing team.
- Brainstorm and develop big ideas and beneficial partnerships that will generate media interest.
- Manage and mentor the PR Manager, and collaborate closely with the industry marketing team to grow visibility for our division, our brands, and our strategic initiatives.
Back to top