Database Administrator / Data Science
THE DATA SERVICES TEAM AT HEARST, PART OF CORPORATE TECHNOLOGY, IS RESPONSIBLE FOR A NUMBER OF BIG DATA SOURCES THAT POWER PRODUCTS USED THROUGHOUT THE ORGANIZATION. THE DATABASE ADMINISTRATOR WILL BE A KEY MEMBER OF THE TEAM, HAVING RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE DESIGN AND MAINTENANCE OF KEY PIECES OF THE HEARST DATA WAREHOUSE. WE INGEST MANY TERABYTES OF DATA EACH DAY FROM A WIDE VARIETY OF INTERNAL AND EXTERNAL SOURCES; VIRTUALLY ALL OF THAT DATA IS STORED IN DATABASES AT SOME POINT. THE DBA WILL TAKE OWNERSHIP OF A NUMBER OF AMAZON REDSHIFT CLUSTERS, OUR GOOGLE BIGQUERY IMPLEMENTATION, AS WELL AS OTHER SMALLER DATABASES ON A VARIETY OF PLATFORMS, AND WILL ENSURE THEIR INTEGRITY AND RESILIENCE.
SKILLS & REQUIREMENTS
- 3+ years experience with Amazon Redshift; experience with MySQL is a plus, experience with Google BigQuery is a big plus
- Must include significant experience with database design and optimization including writing and executing DDL statements
- Understanding of database performance and tuning. Must have a solid understanding of Redshift distribution and sort keys and column encodings.
- Strong working knowledge of AWS – must have experience spinning up and resizing Redshift clusters, be familiar with RDS, and know how to install a database on an ec2 instance
- Demonstrable experience with issue detection and resolution; be ready to provide examples
- Working knowledge of backup and recovery procedures
- Ability to provide guidance to data scientists, engineers and other team members
- Documentation skills for processes and procedures
- Experience with NoSQL databases such as Cassandra, DynamoDB, and MongoDB is a big plus
- Working knowledge of Linux
- Comfort with Python, BASH scripting and crons
Back to top