- Ann Arbor, MI
Hearst Autos brings together engaging content, unrivaled data and insights, innovative consumer products and comprehensive marketing solutions to serve automotive manufacturers, dealers, enthusiasts and buyers. By combining the entire portfolio of Hearst brands, including Car and Driver and Road & Track, with the extended reach of In-Market partners, Hearst Autos reaches 163 million people every month as the nation's most influential automotive media company.
You'll join a diverse, supportive community of engineers who are creating a modern content technology stack - built from the ground up - to give our users, editors, and advertisers tools that enable them to tell amazing stories. We work on the Car and Driver site, tools for the editorial and vehicle testing teams, tools that help manage our media and advertising business, and more.
We're using modern web technologies to build our sites and services: Node.js, React, Webpack, GraphQL and Python. We're building an open, service-oriented platform driven by APIs, and believe in crafting simple, elegant solutions to complex technological and product problems. Our apps run on AWS and Kubernetes, with deployments automated through a Slack bot.
We offer the stability of a big company with the nimble and forward-looking feel of a startup. This position can be based in San Francisco, New York City, Ann Arbor, MI or Easton, PA.
• Be part of a development team that innovates and creates modern tools and features that enable our operations, product development, publisher, analytics and finance teams.
• Participate in key software design, working directly with other engineers, the product team, DevOps, and other stakeholders.
• Use well-reasoned, appropriate design patterns and best practices.
Things we look for
• Takes initiative to constantly improve individually and as a part of a team.
• The ability to take a feature or service to full completion - from inception through design, implementation, delivery and post-release in an iterative agile environment.
• You write tests to improve the quality, modularity and maintainability of your code.
• You have an understanding of and experience with concurrency and asynchronous programming.
• Experience in server-side programming in Node.js, Java, Go, Python or similar languages - not tied to a specific language or framework, but able to quickly adapt and learn new skills.
Skills and Experience
• 2+ years of experience building web applications and services
• CS degree or equivalent real-world experience and knowledge of CS fundamentals.
• Eager to learn any new languages / frameworks that apply.
• Relational databases / data models
• Cloud development - Amazon AWS and Google Cloud
Back to top