Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and Oprah Daily. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video, and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution, and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
Country Living is looking for a whip-smart and strategic senior editor with a deep understanding of analytics and SEO to join the digital arm of the magazine. Reporting to the deputy managing editor, the ideal candidate is a growth-hacking, detail-oriented editor with a deep understanding of digital content and social media strategy, who is comfortable tackling content across a variety of lifestyle topics, including entertainment, holidays, entertaining, home decor, and more.
The senior editor will handle a share of the top editing and will have a hand in our overall content strategy. We're looking for a strong editor with a well-honed taste level who can package and illustrate concepts in highly visual and service-packed ways. The ideal candidate will also know how to dig into data and analytics to identify traffic growth opportunities. This job is located in Birmingham, Alabama; we will not be able to consider remote candidates.
For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 15, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
What you'll do:
- Top edit 5+ pieces of content daily, including news posts, reviews, galleries, and features
- Write new SEO content and update existing stories
- Program Country Living newsletters: Curate content, write display copy
- Track daily site performance on Google Analytics and other analytics tools to help inform future content strategies, and implement search optimization strategies to increase traffic across target categories
- Assign galleries and articles to freelancers across content verticals
- Identify print stories that make sense to produce for the web
- Work with the SEO team to strategize and pre-plan around major holidays and events
- Work with the video team to assign related videos that can live on site in our top-performing stories
- You have6 to 8 years of experience as an editor, with a minimum of 4 years working in a fast-paced digital environment
- You are a creative thinker who will bring fresh, innovative ideas to life, with a strong sense for visual design and packaging
- You have excellent judgment as to what works to drive audience and engagement across various digital platforms, including newsletters
- You have deep familiarity with best practices for SEO and social media
- You are open to experimenting with content types and topics, and comfortable using analytics to switch up strategy when something is not working; being well versed in Facebook Insights, Crowdtangle, Adobe Analytics, Chartbeat, and/or Google Analytics is key
- Knowledge of photo-editing and graphic design platforms is a plus
- You have a bachelor's degree or relevant experience