Director of Engineering
We’re Hearst Autos and we are going to change the way consumers buy automobiles. With a recognized brand – Car and Driver – and the best editorial team in the automotive industry – we’re cutting a new path! We are looking for entrepreneurial-minded thought leaders across many disciplines. And, we mean business.
The VP, Engineering will work closely with the CTO, Program Manager, Product Owner(s), UX, and the Developer team members to collaborate on solving business problems.
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING
● Hiring, mentoring, and managing the development team.
● Owning the technical implementation of our web based solutions.
● Being hands on (when necessary) and on top of new languages, frameworks, and methodologies enough to make solid recommendations on where we need to be.
● Helping make technical decisions and facilitating good discussions with the development staff to make sure everyone is bought in.
● Work closely with the team leads, program manager, and scrum master to ensure our development team is performing at an optimum level.
● Works closely with the CTO to ensure the infrastructure, processes, and software implementation is solid.
● Additional duties, as required.
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW
● Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
● You should have experience delivering complex projects with demanding deadlines.
● Ability to translate technical information to the non-technical, especially upward.
● Must have a good sense of urgency and feeling of ownership over what you are assigned to.
● Strong analytical, problem solving and diagnostic skills.
● How to code for, and support, a high traffic site.
● Familiarity with the Agile Scrum software development methodology.
● Knowledge of TDD and continuous integration.
WHAT YOU NEED TO HAVE
● Must have 7-10 years of experience in a development role, with an advanced skill set in some of the following: Node.js, Backbone.js, AngularJS, React, Amazon Web Services, Docker, NoSQL / MongoDB, Express, HTML5, CSS3, TDD, CircleCi, JIRA
● Must have 4+ years of management experience.
● Must be a leader… not a boss.
● Must have experience developing for a high traffic web site.
● Must have a strong desire to do great things, as a team.
WHAT YOU’LL GET FROM US
● A fun and collaborative environment with driven team members.
● Exciting projects that allow you to work on, and learn, new technologies.
● Work for an employee focused company that is building a great culture.
● Competitive salaries, 401k, great benefits, and much more.
Meet Some of Hearst Autos's Employees
Director, Digital Product Portfolio
Chip conceives and develops new products across all Hearst Autos properties, bringing together car enthusiasts, dealers, and automotive manufacturers under one digital roof.
Back to top