Connecticut Magazine Features Writer
- Norwalk, CT
Connecticut Magazine Writer
Hearst Connecticut Media Group's journalists cover communities in Fairfield and New Haven Counties and beyond, serving readers across platforms, including our sites, app, newsletters, social media accounts and more for eight daily and 14 weekly newspapers.
We are looking for a multi-talented, audience-focused and collaborative writer for Connecticut Magazine - the state's premier lifestyle publication - and our network of daily and weekly newspapers and websites.
You'll have the opportunity to sink your teeth into dining and restaurant stories, interview some of the biggest names in entertainment and the arts, unearth little-known tales from Connecticut's past and tackle critical health, science and other hard news topics.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Writes various types of stories, including long-form features, profiles, roundups and reviews, for Connecticut Magazine, The Connecticut Bride and other publications in Hearst Connecticut Media Group, covering communities in Fairfield and New Haven counties and beyond.
- Contributes to the magazine's sections, including dining, arts & entertainment, home & garden, health & wellness and general interest.
- Identifies trending or important stories that will matter to our readers and pursues them.
- Effectively shoots and edits photos and video and/or collects submitted artwork to accompany stories.
- Engages with audiences on social media, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, to promote stories and the magazine.
- Collaborates in and/or takes ownership of projects and contests, including Best of Connecticut, 40 Under 40, Best Restaurants and more.
- Demonstrates a comfort level with analyzing and interpreting metrics and uses them to inform coverage decisions in real time and the long term.
- Experience writing or editing at a magazine, newspaper or news website
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent in journalism, English or related field preferred
- Demonstrated success working in a deadline-driven environment
- Highly organized and detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks
- Demonstrated social media experience
- Ability to speak a second language like Spanish a plus
- Knowledge of Connecticut, it's people and issues a plus, but not required
Send a cover letter, resume, clips, social media handles and website (if applicable) for review.
HCMG is committed to growing and retaining a more diverse workforce that better reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage all people of working age, who are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply, including women, people of color, applicants with disabilities, those from the LGBTQ+ community and veterans.
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes for this role. If you're a passionate, dedicated worker who's interested in Hearst Connecticut Media Group but don't have all the skills listed here, please still reach out and tell us more about what you bring to the table.
This full-time job with benefits is based in Connecticut and is not eligible for remote candidates.
Back to top