University Relations - Procurement Intern
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures - ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This position will be located in Chicago
What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position will be supporting the Procurement and Support Services team at HCSC which manages over $2 Billion in spend. PSS helps enable the organization to be successful through the utilization of suppliers. Success can include cost reduction, establishing new suppliers and capabilities, acquiring products and services, maximizing value with current suppliers and minimizing supplier based risk. Responsibilities for this internship can include:
- Assisting the PSS team with RFx's, Market Assessments, Purchase Orders, Contracts and Service Level Agreements.
- Working in our internal department web-based Procurement tools such as Oracle.
- Support PSS team through supplier negotiations and assisting with legal redlines to contracts.
- Presenting findings from a RFx or Market Assessment to a business team you are supporting.
- Supplier outreach to follow up on RFx's, negotiations and misc. issues that arise.
- Assist in reporting needs for supplier contract and spend activity
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Excellent project management skills and the ability to keep track of multiple projects, suppliers, contracts, and business team members
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
- Comfortable speaking in front of internal business teams and suppliers during presentations
- Strong analytical skills using Excel (ie: to help build a Total Cost of Ownership model)
- Experience building PowerPoint presentations
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Pursuing a Bachelor's Degree in a Business related field, Supply Chain
- Graduation date between December 2019 - June 2020
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
What Does the Intern Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real world hands on project
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities
- City-specific outings
- Team Building
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Procurement / Strategic Sourcing Job Type Intern Location IL - Chicago
Back to top