University Relations - IT Infrastructure Intern
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures - ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This 10-week internship will be located in Chicago,IL.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Basic understanding of network, operating systems, Network solution requirements analysis skills and knowledge of Network Engineering best practices, databases, data center technology
- Knowledge of MS Office Suite- Word, PPT, Excel
- Previous internship experience preferred but not required
- Effective Interpersonal and Communication skills.
What Are Your Responsibilities?
- Intern will assist with end user support in different IT Infrastructure areas and learning hands on about IT support best practices.
- Working with the team interns will learn to identify any gaps in the current systems that impact our ability to measure desired KPIs for the systems. Develop web based applications to present dashboards and APIs
- Participate in planning and implementation of multi-scale projects. Analyze Data & Reports; participate in Infrastructure Engineering and Operations meetings.
- Will learn importance of ITIL best practices and will work with the team in either develop implement or monitoring service levels for our internal or external partners.
- Working with the rest of the team, interns will help to determine thresholds and monitor systems for opportunities to prevent outages of some of our most critical customer facing systems due to capacity related issues.
- Will get hands on training in Windows OS Administration, databases management, middleware and mainframe technologies.
- Interns will learn about the different technologies in the platform-as-a-service space. They will also develop technical skillsets in writing web apps, dashboards and reporting.
- Assist in reviewing, analyzing and refreshing Maintaining Process Books, developing dashboards that show key metrics, filling out Decommissioning documents, preparing project plan for Technology Lifecycle Maintenance projects, tracking deliverables etc.
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0 with Major in Information Technology, Information Systems or related field.
- Graduation date between December 2019 - June 2020
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real world hands on project
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities
- City-specific outing
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Information Technology Job Type Intern Location IL - Chicago
Back to top