University Relations - Finance Intern
Job ID: AS-1020048 Description:
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures — ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This 10-week internship will be located in Chicago
What Are Your Responsibilities?
This position will be supporting the Financial Management or Treasury team at HCSC. Responsibilities can include:
- Assisting divisional analysts with financial reporting and forecasting
- Work extensively with departmental tools including Excel and Cognos TM1 — converting raw data into usable financial reports and graphs
- Supported by team members and an Intern Mentor, to reach goals and a high-performance level.
- The candidates will complete an internship-long capstone project based on market industry trends using data from internal and external sources, concluding with a presentation to leadership.
- Detailed understanding of each division within Financial Management all while developing their professional and technical skillset.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Finance/Accounting majors preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with all levels of management;
- Clear and concise verbal and written communications skills
- Adaptable to changing and sometimes ambiguous work assignments
- Project management and customer service skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects in an environment of urgency
- Previous internship experience preferred
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Graduation date between December 2018 – June 2019
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States (at this time, we are not offering this program under OPT or CPT or sponsoring work visas for these roles).
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real world hands on project
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities
- City-specific outing
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Actuarial, Accounting / Finance Job Type Intern Location IL - Chicago
Meet Some of HCSC's Employees
Allison audits operational and financial data throughout the business, helping to expose and mitigate risks, ensure compliance, and add value to HCSC’s operations as a whole.
Back to top