University Relations - Developer Intern
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures - ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This 10-week internship will be located in Chicago,IL
What Are Your Responsibilities?
The HCSC IT Intern program is a highly customized internship which integrates you directly into HCSC's everyday life and will give you an idea of what it is like to be a full-time employee. Depending on your role, you may use languages such as Java, enabling programming tools such as Jira and Jenkins, or Agile development approaches such as Extreme Programming, Feature Driven Development, Dynamic Systems Development Method (DSDM), Scrum, and others. Initially you may develop and test program code in support of HCSC's business goals, integrate tested program code into existing business application, and work closely with HCSC project managers and actively participate in project meetings. We expect you to assimilate and become an active member among a highly integrated project team.
What Are the Preferred Requirements You Must Meet?
- Exposure to Hadoop, Pig, Talend and similar tools a plus
- Demonstrated analytical, communication, collaboration and problem solving skills
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Possess an analytical mindset and excellent problem solving skills
- Exercise and embrace innovation, creativity and out-of-the-box thinking
- Express enthusiasm to enhance your own development, both professionally and personally
- Have an entrepreneurial approach and initiative to handling business problems
- Be a team member with strong interpersonal skills
- Crave continuous learning and participate in knowledge exchange with peers
- Previous internship experience preferred
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Currently pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree in an IT related field
- Graduation date between December 2019- June 2020
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Strong Microsoft Excel, Access, and PowerPoint skills
- Experience merging multiple datasets/spreadsheets and using relational databases
- Experience completing routine and ad-hoc data requests
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real world hands on project
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities
- City-specific outing
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Information Technology Job Type Intern Location IL - Chicago
Back to top