University Relations - Data Science Intern
- Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures - ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This 10-week internship will be located in Chicago IL.
Intern will assist with end user support at the Service Center, learning hands on about IT support best practices.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- GPA of 3.5 or greater
- Progress towards a masters-level degree or Ph.D. in a quantitative field, or previous experience in healthcare or large-scale data science projects
- Experience with SQL, Hive, or other SQL-like query languages
- Familiarity with R, Python, or other statistical languages/packages
- Proficient with Tableau or other business intelligence tools
- Previous internship experience preferred.
What Are Your Responsibilities?
- Passionate about working with data
- Keeps up with the latest technologies
- Has a strong learning mindset
- An interest in improving the healthcare system
- An ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Progress toward a Bachelor's, Master's degree or Ph.D. in mathematics, computer science, statistics, economics, engineering, physics or related quantitative field
- Graduation date between December 2019 - June 2020
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0.
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real world hands on project.
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement-
- Volunteer activities.
- City-specific outing.
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Information Technology Job Type Intern Location IL - Chicago
Back to top