University Relations - Actuarial Intern
Why Intern at Health Care Service Corporation?
Health Care Service Corporation (HCSC), a Mutual Legal Reserve Company and an Independent Licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, is the largest customer-owned health insurer in the United States and fourth largest overall, operating through our Blue Cross and Blue Shield® Plans in Illinois, Montana, New Mexico, Oklahoma and Texas. HCSC affiliates and subsidiaries such as Dearborn National®, TMG Health and Medecision, offer group life, disability and dental solutions, as well as a range of other individual solutions. The company, founded in 1936, serves nearly 15 million members across five states and employs more than 21,000 people in over 60 local offices. HCSC is dedicated to expanding access to high quality, cost effective health care and equipping our members with information and tools so they can make the best health care decisions for themselves and their families. Our health plans were pioneers in their states, as they were the first to provide coverage for a number of procedures ranging from heart and bone marrow transplants, to cancer and leukemia treatments. Today, we are leaders in the development of value-based care models to spur greater collaboration and accountability among various stakeholders to improve the health care experience for patients and consumers and enable them lead healthier lives.
This ten-week paid internship is located in Chicago, IL.,
What Are Your Responsibilities?
- The successful candidate for this position will work closely with both management and actuarial students in support of some of our major departmental functions.
- This support consists of modeling experience, gathering and compiling data from various sources, designing and maintaining databases, and producing reports for internal as well as external uses.
- In the past few years, projects have included modeling provider payments and discounts, redesigning a forecasting model, building an Access database to track provider performance, converting our reserve model to a new software package, and preparing yearly financial statements.
What Do You Need To Be Successful?
- Previous internship experience preferred
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills including verbal and written communication
- Strong analytical skills
- Practical, developed PC skills, especially Excel, Word, and Access
What Are the Requirements You Must Meet?
- Progress toward a bachelor's Degree in actuarial science, Mathematics, Statistics, Finance or related field
- Progress on SOA exams
- Graduation date between December 2019 - June 2020
- A minimum GPA of 3.0/4.0
- Math skills including the four basic math calculations (addition, subtraction, division & multiplication) and ability to estimate for mathematical reasonableness
- Availability to work 10 weeks during the summer
- Unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
What Does the Internship Program Entail?
- Formal Intern Orientation to build business and industry acumen
- Challenging real world hands on project
- Weekly networking opportunities among interns and company leaders
- Professional development workshops
- Business Resource Group involvement
- Volunteer activities
- City-specific outing
- Team Building
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Actuarial Job Type Intern Location IL - Chicago
Meet Some of HCSC's Employees
Sr. Tooling DevOps Engineer
Aparna coordinates with her team in Chicago as they work to activate a wide range of applications onto newer platforms while acclimating users to the new apps and processes.
Back to top