Job ID: DM-1018280 Description:
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants.We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and need an accommodation or assistance in either using the Careers website or completing the application process, you can email us here to request reasonable accommodations.
Please note that only requests for accommodations in the application process will be returned. All applications, including resumes, must be submitted through HCSC's Career website on-line application process. If you have general questions regarding the status of an existing application, navigate to "my account" and click on "View your job submissions".
This position is responsible for supporting the Enterprise litigation team in a fast-paced practice by working with HCSC litigators and outside counsel on a variety of complex matters. Functions include, but are not limited to, preparing complex documents, agreements and pleadings related to litigation matters; interfacing with outside counsel on litigation; and responding to third party discovery requests. Has a thorough understanding of all aspects of the legal department's work and its context in the organization as a whole.
- Make independent assessments and evaluations of legal documents received by business divisions relating to various issues and determine level of attorney involvement required and/or act as needed.
- Independently conduct research, analysis and investigation and take results of such tasks and decide on appropriate action for review by litigation manager. Request claims information and act as liaison between claims area and in-house and outside attorneys on pending or threatened litigation.
- Prepare complex agreements, instruments, documents, and/or pleadings relating to litigation.
- Interface directly with outside counsel regarding a variety of legal issues relevant to the business operations of the Company and/or litigation impacting the Company, including the preparation of necessary legal documents to respond to lawsuits and discovery requests.
- Work with outside counsel on determining proper witnesses in cases and coordinate with internal business partners, acting as liaison with various internal departments.
- Review complex documents, including depositions, and prepare relevant summaries for litigation management.
- Compile and assemble data from various sources and prepare regular and special reports for attorneys and management regarding litigation.
- Gather documents and information from internal sources.
- Respond to third-party discovery requests.
- Directly receive requests and assess the needs of other departments for legal assistance and/or information, especially regarding third party subpoenas and litigation, and take appropriate action to resolve and support the needs of those departments.
- Work with attorneys, other paralegals and/or other members of the legal team on a variety of issues relevant to the business operations of the Company and/or litigation impacting the Company.
- Communicate and interact effectively and professionally with co-workers, management, customers, etc.
- Comply with HIPAA, Diversity Principles, Corporate Integrity, Compliance Program policies and other applicable corporate and departmental policies.
- Maintain complete confidentiality of company business.
- Maintain communication with management regarding development within areas of assigned responsibilities and perform special projects as required or requested.
- Bachelor Degree OR Paralegal Certification OR 4 years of experience in a law firm or corporate legal department performing the functions of a Paralegal
- 2 years' experience in a law firm or corporate legal department
- Demonstrated experience in leading large scale, complex projects and managing the execution of discovery plans.
- Experience working with automated ediscovery systems related to document review and legal holds, preferably Recommind and Atlas, as well as experience working with client or in-house IT/IS teams on ediscovery matters
- Working knowledge of judicial system, civil procedures and discovery requirements
- Experience with matter management systems, preferably Serengeti nka Legal Tracker
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and move amongst tasks and changing priorities effectively
- Clear and concise verbal and written communication skills and experience dealing directly with multiple stakeholders; ability to translate technical requirements into understandable guidance
- Detail and deadline orientation and PC proficiency to include Microsoft Word, Excel, and SharePoint.
Requirements: Expertise Legal Job Type Full-Time Regular Location IL - Chicago
Meet Some of HCSC's Employees
Allison audits operational and financial data throughout the business, helping to expose and mitigate risks, ensure compliance, and add value to HCSC’s operations as a whole.
Back to top