Assistant General Counsel
At HCSC, building a talent engine for the future is a key priority because we recognize that as our business evolves to reflect the changing world, we must adapt our workforce to meet this challenge. Additionally, with "excellence" one of our core values, we are focused on improving our success measures and delivering the best possible customer experience.
This is an exciting new position in the Legal Division, and this candidate serves as a member of the Enterprise Litigation Team handling litigation across HCSC's five-state area, with a focus on bringing an innovative approach to affirmative litigation and recovery opportunities. Candidate will be responsible for providing legal advice, support, and coordination on more complex legal matters or projects, requiring senior level attorney skills. With the assistance of outside counsel, candidate will lead the strategic direction of complicated litigation and administrative proceedings, including affirmative litigation and recovery efforts. Recoveries may relate to a variety of topics but could include:
The successful candidate will bring strategic vision and innovative solutions to expand potential recovery opportunities and will be skilled at managing pre-litigation case investigations, mediations, and litigation. The candidate will also keep abreast of all pertinent laws, trends, court rulings, industry trends, etc.
HCSC's litigators are actively involved in setting and leading litigation strategy, counseling clients proactively on disputes, managing pre-litigation matters and legal risk assessment, and working with paraprofessional and operations staff to develop cases. The successful candidate must be willing and to learn complex business operations and strategic initiatives to effectively advise on legal risk and to achieve the best business outcomes. Must be a creative, strategic thinker with excellent judgment and substantive experience in all aspects of the life cycle of litigated matters.
• Law degree from accredited law school and completion of trial advocacy program coursework;
• At least 5 years' experience as a practicing litigation attorney at a law firm or government agency (or comparable in house experience) with substantive experience handling complex civil litigation and developing proactive strategies over the entire lifecycle of a litigation matter, including preservation, early case assessment, budgeting, motion practice, eDiscovery, trial, ADR, appeals and case resolution strategy;
• Admittance to the Illinois or Texas bar (or ability to be admitted within 6 months);
• Experience in managing client relations/communications so as to motivate multiple business divisions to meaningfully engage in responding to litigation needs or similar matters;
• Demonstrated ability to think strategically and to drive results while minimizing cost and burden on the company;
• Commitment to delivering quality and timely legal services, plus a committed solutions-oriented approach;
• Hands-on, hard-working, "roll up your sleeves" style, with both business partners and Legal teammates;
• Demonstrated business and strategic acumen and ongoing commitment to business partnering;
• Demonstrated ability to function as a self-starter and value-add contributor in a fast-paced practice;
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills;
• Demonstrated commitment to operating in a strong team environment;
• Able to work independently in a fast-paced environment while effectively managing multiple projects and competing priorities.
PREFERRED JOB REQUIREMENTS:
• Affirmative civil litigation/plaintiff-side experience and/or extensive experience with defense of health care recovery matters, mass tort, or similar dockets
• Experience in health care, pharmacy, and/or insurance regulatory matters
• Large law firm or government agency experience handling criminal/regulatory investigations or white-collar matters
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants. We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
Requirements: Expertise Legal Job Type Full-Time Regular Location IL - Chicago, TX - Richardson
Back to top