Job ID: LMS-1018601 Description:
HCSC is committed to diversity in the workplace and to providing equal opportunity and affirmative action to employees and applicants.We are an Equal Opportunity Employment / Affirmative Action employer dedicated to workforce diversity and a drug-free and smoke-free workplace. Drug screening and background investigation are required, as allowed by law. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.
If you are an individual with a disability or a disabled veteran and need an accommodation or assistance in either using the Careers website or completing the application process, you can email us here to request reasonable accommodations.
Please note that only requests for accommodations in the application process will be returned. All applications, including resumes, must be submitted through HCSC's Career website on-line application process. If you have general questions regarding the status of an existing application, navigate to "my account" and click on "View your job submissions".
Join Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Illinois, New Mexico, Montana, Oklahoma & Texas's growing Provider & Network Data Science team in a non-traditional actuarial role. We're looking for an Assistant Actuary to help us apply innovative machine learning, social network analysis, and visualization techniques to reduce the cost of medical care for our 15 million members.
At the largest customer-owned health insurer and fourth largest health insurer overall in the United States, you will have the opportunity to work with massive datasets to understand the drivers of medical cost and affect how healthcare is delivered to our members.
We are looking for someone who loves working with data, has a strong learning mindset, an interest in healthcare, and an ability to communicate complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences.
No previous work experience in data science or predictive analytics is required, although the ideal candidate must have the demonstrated ability and willingness to learn the necessary technical skills within a short period of time.
- Bachelor Degree in Actuarial Science or Mathematics.
- Associateship iJn the Society of Actuaries (ASA), including completion of Associate Professionalism Course (APC), and completion of 1 FSA (Fellowship in the Society of Actuaries) exam equivalent. Membership in the American Academy of Actuaries
- 4 years actuarial experience.
- Knowledge in at least 3 areas: actuarial pricing; underwriting; statistical modeling; analytics; networks; forecasting; and reserve systems.
- Verbal and written communications skills to prepare documentations, facilitate training, manage staff and represent department at internal meetings.
- PC proficiency to include Word and Excel, database, and designing reports.
STRONGLY PREFERRED JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- General expertise in programming, as demonstrated through a track record of delivering technical projects
- Expertise in using SQL, Hive, or other-SQL like languages for querying large healthcare datasets
- Strong verbal and written communication skills and ability to work with non-technical customers
- Familiarity with using R, Python, or other statistical languages/packages for data analysis and machine learning
- Proven track record in medical cost analytics or medical economics of identifying and delivering savings
- Proficiency with tools and languages for data visualization and social network analysis
- Proficiency with Tableau or other business intelligence tools
This position is located in Chicago, IL. Visa sponsorship is not provided for this position.
Requirements: Expertise Actuarial Job Type Full-Time Regular Location IL - Chicago
Meet Some of HCSC's Employees
Allison audits operational and financial data throughout the business, helping to expose and mitigate risks, ensure compliance, and add value to HCSC’s operations as a whole.
Back to top