Technical Program Manager
HBO-s Digital Products team encompasses HBO-s web properties (HBO.com, Cinemax.com), and HBO-s streaming services HBO NOW, HBO GO and Max GO. Our software development teams are actively improving our existing streaming technology, while at the same time creating the next generation of HBO and Max apps and services. As a key part of our team, Technical Program Managers (PM) are responsible for managing projects and releases that support HBO-s consumer-facing web properties, cloud services, and new technology initiatives.
HBO Digital Products is looking for a Technical Program Manager who has experience with production engineering, large scale distributed systems, and helping to solve engineering problems in near real-time. The ideal candidate will know their process for shipping and maintaining software and services. As a TPM, you will know how to make the rational and thoughtful trade offs required in order to deliver a product while maintaining a healthy team and healthy business relationships.
The successful candidate will work directly with our Site Reliability Engineering team, partnering with SRE engineers to drive forward projects such as infrastructure and service automation, logging and health monitoring. In their role with the SRE team, they will interface with cross functional teams (development, TPM, product, design, quality assurance), business managers, and Digital Product-s leadership team.
The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience working with creative development teams and driving ambiguous product requirements into a well thought out design. The successful candidate will be able to embrace our engineering-focused culture and development philosophy by actively involving and engaging the entire team to drive consensus. Our self-organizing development teams need a Program Manager who remains focused on delivering to the right goals and executing in a way that is consistent with the team-s development methodology. To this end, the successful candidate must possess strong negotiation and cross-functional communication skills.
• Prior experience managing Cloud infrastructure projects, including engineering efforts.
• Prior experience working with Operations or SRE teams
• Solid understanding of software development life cycle models as well as expert knowledge of both Agile and traditional project management principles and practices and the ability to blend them together in the right proportions to fit a project and business environment.
• Experience overseeing multi-function project teams with at least 10-15 team members including Developers, Engineers, Subject Matter Experts and Operations.
• Expertly manage cross-functional communication within the internal development team or with third party vendors.
• Create problem statements and move from those to appropriate and data driven proposals, recommendations, and solutions. Then drive alignment across all stakeholders.
• Work with cross-functional team leadership to establish goals and milestones that align with our design requirements and also account for development team dependencies.
• 3-5 years of experience on multiple technical projects
• Able to establish goals and set clear expectations, prioritize activities, and follow through to completion.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including negotiation and problem resolution in a cross-functional team.
• Able to drive the definition of project scope, develop detailed project plans, and facilitate the collection of engineering, operational, and business requirements.
• Strong understanding of development methodologies including waterfall and agile (including Lean or Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)).
• Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
• Able to clearly, concisely, and regularly communicate status, issues, and risks to project stakeholders.
• Solid understanding of scripting and automation tools such as Ansible, Python, Docker, etc.
• Prior work with Jenkins and Kubernetes
• Prior work with database technologies, including MongoDB, Cassandra, pgSQL
• Knowledge of Streaming Media platforms and delivery
• Media or entertainment industry experience is a plus.
• Bachelor-s Degree or advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related field preferred; software development experience is a plus.
Back to top