Technical Program Manager
HBO-s Digital Products team encompasses HBO-s web properties (HBO.com, Cinemax.com), and HBO-s streaming services HBO NOW, HBO GO and Max GO. Our software development teams are actively improving our existing streaming technology, while at the same time creating the next generation of HBO and Max apps and services. As a key part of our team, Technical Program Managers (PM) are responsible for managing projects and releases that support HBO-s consumer-facing web properties, cloud services, and new technology initiatives.
HBO Digital Products is looking for a Technical Program Manager with experience shipping multiple products across a variety of platforms, using a variety of development methodologies. The ideal candidate will know their process for shipping software, and be passionate about using, modeling, and teaching that process thereby increasing their teammates- productivity. As a PM, you will know how to make the rational and thoughtful tradeoffs required in order to deliver a product while maintaining a healthy team and healthy business relationships.
The successful candidate will work closely with users, development staff, product design team, quality assurance, business managers, and Digital Product-s leadership team. You will have demonstrated experience working with creative development teams and driving ambiguous product requirements into a well thought out design. You will be able to embrace our engineering-focused culture and development philosophy by actively involving and engaging the entire team to drive consensus. Our self-organizing development teams need a Program Manager who remains focused on delivering to the right goals and executing in a way that is consistent with the team-s development methodology. To this end, the successful candidate must possess strong negotiation and cross-functional communication skills.
- Expertly manage cross-functional communication within the internal development team or with third-party vendors.
- Create problem statements and move from those to appropriate and data driven proposals, recommendations, and solutions; then drive alignment across all stakeholders.
- Work with cross-functional team leadership to establish goals and milestones that align with our design requirements and also account for development team dependencies.
- Prioritize goals into a roadmap for feature releases.
- Work with development teams to tease out implementation details and identify roadblocks before they occur.
- Add value in technical discussions about feature design and implementation.
- Discover and articulate technical requirements and dependencies on external development teams as deliverables change. These could include changes to APIs, interfaces, or the behavior of services or client devices.
- Communicate the impact of feature or schedule changes to teams that are potentially affected.
- Communicate how product-level goals fit into, and are influenced by, larger divisional goals, and how the team-s work impacts the success or failure of the division.
- Identify and document the requirements for an area or product.
- 5+ years of experience on multiple technical projects
- Cloud based application PM experience focused on clients or services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with all levels of technical and non-technical staff.
- Able to establish goals and set clear expectations, prioritize activities, and follow through to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including negotiation and problem resolution in a cross-functional team.
- Able to drive the definition of project scope, develop detailed project plans, and facilitate the collection of engineering, operational, and business requirements.
- Strong understanding of development methodologies including waterfall and agile (including Lean or Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe)).
- Experience collaborating with design and engineering to write features for implementation.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to clearly, concisely, and regularly communicate status, issues, and risks to project stakeholders.
- Able to function effectively and consistently when faced with frequently changing and sometimes ambiguous goals
- Experience with authentication and authorization technology is a plus
- Prior experience working within bug tracking systems (ex: YouTrack, JIRA)
- Experience documenting technical systems and training users in complex operational procedures.
- Ability to learn new development tools and productivity tools in order to continuously improve effectiveness.
- Bachelor-s Degree or advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related experience preferred; software development experience is a plus.
- Media or entertainment industry experience is a plus.
Back to top