HBO VP, West Coast Post Delivery & Archives
The Post Delivery Planning & Operations Unit is responsible for the timely delivery of program elements from HBO production units for both distribution to foreign and domestic ancillary markets and ultimately for long-term preservation.
The VP of Post Delivery & Archives West Coast leads a staff of 20 bi-coastal employees responsible for the collection of program materials from HBO Programming, Production and Post Production departments. The VP responsibilities encompass Post Delivery, Archives and departmental oversight.
Working closely with the Director, Post Delivery and the Post Delivery staff, the VP provides leadership to ensure all deliverables to HBO are accounted for, delivered accurately and in a timely manner. The VP operates as the liaison with HBO Programming as well as outside producers and show personnel. The VP ensures all digital, video, audio and documents are delivered to HBO for re-purposing efforts and for long term preservation. Effectively communicates and serves as liaison within Post Delivery and with various groups inside the Company (HBO Enterprises, International Versioning, Programming Technical Services and HBO Programming) as well as groups external to the Company (post production vendors, post supervisors, etc.).
Specifically in regard to Post Delivery:
- Work with the Director Post Delivery to set overall policy and west coast delivery procedures. Continually refine the delivery process with an eye toward streamlining, implementing emerging technologies and “future-proofing” the long-term viability of the company’s original programming assets.
- Liaise with internal and external groups to ensure maximum efficiency, workflow and standardized procedures.
- Contribute to the department’s on-going initiative to define deliverables that will allow maximum flexibility within emerging industry standards such as UHD-1, UHD-2, HDR as well as new broadcast audio standards such as Dolby Atmos.
- Implement new workflows and institute changes due to the continual shifting landscape of digital delivery.
The Archives, as a component of Post Delivery, operates the HBO Archive, an extensive, varied, and active collection of film, video, audio and file-based assets that support the network as well as HBO’s production departments. The Archive is a resource for ancillary businesses utilizing program assets, including HBO domestic and international sales.
Specifically in regard to the HBO Archive:
- Assist the Director of Archives and the Archival staff develop and update archival collection policies and procedures.
- Work with the Director of Archives to initiate, manage and complete short and long term projects.
- Work with the staff providing leadership to help the transition from physical to digital media.
- Engage in strategic long-term planning
- Work with the Director of the Archives, supervising staff archivists on two coasts.
- Prepare & implement budgets for storage, preservation and project based needs of the archive.
- Responsible for the annual West Coast based distribution expense budget, negotiating vendor rates, approving invoices and analyzing spending across departmental accounts.
- Input on the Departmental staff budget (training, travel, staff expenditures, etc.), outlining and justifying west coast staffing needs.
- Provide analysis on performance and current practices.
- Responsible for recruiting and hiring personnel, staff motivation & retention, setting goals, moderating staffing issues, assigning and organizing work for maximum efficiency.
- Develop internal training programs and procedures for new and existing staff development.
- Minimum of 15 years’ experience in a leadership role at a media company managing the following: post production operations, television operations, archival and digital asset management; film, tape, file-based and long-term asset preservation.
- BA or BS College degree required.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written). Ability to build and maintain effective relationships both internally and externally.
- Strategic and analytical professional with an exceptional ability to manage and prioritize heavy workload.
- Must have the strong post production knowledge and skills to be able to problem-solve and trouble-shoot the various issues that may arise.
- Ability to research, analyze, collaborate, build and budget short and long term business plans, influence decision makers and then execute plans successfully.
- Experience budgeting for television operational departments.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top