HBO Technical Program Manager, Tools
HBO’s Digital Products team encompasses HBO’s web properties (HBO.com, Cinemax.com), HBO GO and Max GO web apps, mobile apps (iPhone, iPad, Android), and television apps (Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, and Chromecast). Our software development teams are actively improving our existing streaming technology, while at the same time creating the next generation of HBO and Max apps and services. As a key part of our team, Program Managers (PM) are responsible for managing projects and releases that support HBO’s consumer-facing web properties, cloud services, and new technology initiatives.
HBO Digital Products is looking for a Program Manager with experience shipping multiple products across a variety of scopes, using a variety of development methodologies. The ideal candidate will know their process for shipping software, and be passionate about using, modeling, and teaching that process thereby increasing their teammate’s productivity. As a PM, you will know how to make the rational and thoughtful trade offs required in order to deliver a product while maintaining a healthy team and healthy business relationships.
The successful candidate will work closely with users, development staff, product design team, quality assurance (QA), business managers, and Digital Product’s leadership team. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience working with creative development teams and driving ambiguous product requirements into a well thought out design. The successful candidate will be able to embrace our engineering-focused culture and development philosophy by actively involving and engaging the entire team to drive consensus. Our self-organizing development teams need a Program Manager who remains focused on delivering to the right goals and executing in a way that is consistent with the team’s development methodology. To this end, the successful candidate must possess strong negotiation and cross-functional communication skills.
- Expertly manage cross-functional communication within the development team.
- Create problem statements and move from those to appropriate and data driven proposals, recommendations, and solutions. Then drive alignment across all stakeholders.
- Work with cross-functional team leadership to establish goals and milestones that align with our design requirements and also account for development team dependencies.
- Prioritize goals into a roadmap for feature releases.
- Work with development teams to tease out implementation details and identify roadblocks before they occur.
- Add value in technical discussions about feature design and implementation.
- Discover and articulate technical requirements and dependencies on external development teams as deliverables change. These could include changes to APIs, interfaces, or the behavior of services or client devices.
- Communicate the impact of feature or schedule changes to teams that are potentially affected.
- Communicate how product-level goals fit into, and are influenced by, larger divisional goals, and how the team’s work impacts the success or failure of the division.
- Identify and document the requirements for an area or product.
- 5+ years of experience on multiple technical projects
- Cloud based application PM experience focused on clients or services.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with all levels of technical and non-technical staff.
- Able to establish goals and set clear expectations, prioritize activities, and follow through to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including negotiation and problem resolution in a cross-functional team.
- Able to drive the definition of project scope, develop detailed project plans, and facilitate the collection of engineering, operational, and business requirements.
- Strong understanding of development methodologies including waterfall and agile.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to clearly, concisely, and regularly communicate status, issues, and risks to project stakeholders.
- Able to function effectively and consistently when faced with frequently changing and sometimes ambiguous goals
- Experience with infrastructure build-out, application deployment, and release management.
- Experience documenting technical systems and training users in complex operational procedures.
- Ability to learn new development tools and productivity tools in order to continuously improve effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s Degree or advanced degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Engineering, or related field preferred; software development experience is a plus.
- Media or entertainment industry experience is a plus.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top