HBO Technical Program Manager
HBO’s Digital Products team is responsible for the innovative product development and management of HBO Go and HBO NOW video streaming services. HBO’s Digital Products team encompasses HBO’s web properties (HBO.com, Cinemax.com), HBO GO and Max GO web apps, mobile apps (iPhone, iPad, Android), and television apps (Apple TV, Google TV, Roku, and Chromecast). Our software development teams are actively improving our existing streaming technology, while at the same time creating the next generation of HBO and Max apps and services. As a key part of our team, Program Managers (PM) are responsible for managing projects and releases that support HBO’s consumer-facing web properties, cloud services, and new technology initiatives.
HBO Digital Products is looking for a Program Manager for our consumer fraud program, which is a part of the Customer Engagement & Support team. This Program Manager will have experience shipping multiple products across a variety of scopes, using a variety of development methodologies. The ideal candidate will know their process for shipping software, and be passionate about using, modeling, and teaching that process thereby increasing their teammate’s productivity. As a PM, you will know how to make the rational and thoughtful tradeoffs required in order to deliver a product while maintaining a healthy team and healthy business relationships. Specifically, this position will participate in the creation and establishment of a consumer fraud program that will identify and deter fraud while safeguarding all aspects of customer profile information (ie username, password).
The successful candidate will work closely with users, research and analytical team, development staff, product design team, quality assurance (QA), business managers, and Digital Products’ leadership team. The successful candidate will have demonstrated experience working with large amounts of data to uncover and investigate data anomalies and determine root cause. The results of these investigations could result in creating new or updated business requirements for the consumer fraud program. The successful candidate will be able to embrace our engineering-focused culture and development philosophy by actively involving and engaging the entire team to drive consensus. Our self-organizing development teams need a Program Manager who remains focused on delivering against the right goals and executing in a way that is consistent with the team’s development methodology. To this end, the successful candidate must possess strong negotiation and cross-functional communication skills.
- Participate in the creation and establishment of the consumer fraud program.
- Work with stakeholders to outline business requirements for new and existing product updates in the space of fraud.
- Be a champion for consumer fraud initiatives and actively review current and upcoming digital products projects to ensure consumer fraud concepts are incorporated.
- Responsible for working with the research and analysis team for analysis of fraud patterns based on review of streaming data in various states of consumption life cycle. Data is required to be gathered from several stakeholder groups to put together a holistic picture of the user behavior from device activation, attempted logon and streaming behavior.
- Discover and Investigate data anomalies and determine root cause. The results of these investigations could result in creating new or updated business rules.
- Review consumer fraud reports and ensure data is reported accurately, determine if there are any inconsistencies.
- Suggest creation of new reports based on analysis of data and emerging patterns.
- Assist in the selection and review of fraud detection tools to measure risk and track and monitor consumer fraud.
- Works with engineering teams to implement technical and product solutions with fraud enhancements, performs ongoing analysis of fraud solutions.
- Works with CES team on the execution and rollout of new features, process & training.
- Interacts with technical developers to translate product requirements into technical specifications ensuring mutual understanding to minimize time to market.
- 5+ years of experience on multiple software projects.
- Excellent written and verbal communication with all levels of technical and non-technical staff.
- Able to establish goals and set clear expectations, prioritize activities, and follow through to completion.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including negotiation and problem resolution in a cross-functional team.
- Able to drive the definition of project scope, develop detailed project plans, and facilitate the collection of engineering, operational, and business requirements.
- Strong understanding of development methodologies including waterfall and agile.
- Strong problem solving and critical thinking skills.
- Able to clearly, concisely, and regularly communicate status, issues, and risks to project stakeholders.
- Able to function effectively and consistently when faced with frequently changing and sometimes ambiguous goals.
- Ability to analyze data, discover anomalies and determine root cause.
- Experience with toolsets used for detecting and monitoring fraud including big data tools.
- Strong analytical, quantitative and problem solving skills.
- Some understanding of fraud and security as it relates to digital products & services, as well as an external solutions merchant and/or acquiring business, and payments processing.
- Proven ability to manage complex projects with multiple stakeholders.
- Proven expertise in building winning business cases, translating them into stories to gain approval, and delivering strong P&L results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Media or entertainment industry experience is a plus.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top