HBO: Software Engineer
The Media Software Engineering team at HBO enable the media workflows using creative and pragmatic technology solutions. We are a software engineering group that develops and supports applications and workflows that ingest media assets as they show up at our doors and run it through the media supply chain by processing, managing, transforming and delivering the assets to all HBO affiliates and partners.
We are a fundamental part of HBO’s innovation and success and realizing our mission requires a staff of highly motivated and technically flexible software professionals across a variety of disciplines: development, program management, test, and design. We are hiring people to build a team that can create engaging, high-quality solutions, platforms and interactive experiences.
We are looking for a highly skilled individual who takes pride in bringing high-quality code quickly to market, enjoys learning and applying new technologies, and thrives in a dynamic engineering-oriented work environment.
You will work with file and asset management systems and develop diverse solutions to interact and manage these systems, integrating them into our workflows using the latest technologies.
- Design and develop architecturally sound applications for digital media workflow and automation solutions as well as implement and integrate third-party software packages.
- Partner with project managers and other engineering teams to understand requirements, evaluate and recommend strategic solutions.
- Help plan, initiate, and effect changes to the future-state architecture and technical stack of applications.
- Research digital media standards and file-formats to guide future media engineering decisions and system design.
- Provide support to linear/On Demand/derivative systems, with occasional 24/7 availability rotating among other group members.
- BS or MS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other equivalent technical degree.
- 2+ years’ experience with Java.
- Must be familiar with Java EE 5+ and have experience implementing service- or message-oriented systems.
- Knowledge of SOA-based protocols such as SOAP, REST or other RPC
- Excellent communication skills
- Familiarity with video containers and codecs used in broadcast and streaming technologies a plus
- Experience with BPM/orchestration and workflow frameworks such as Activiti and jBPM is a plus
- Development tools such as GIT/Subversion, Maven, JUnit, Bamboo, and JIRA
- Position requires after-hours support.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top