HBO Senior Software Engineer
The Media Software Engineering (MSE) team at HBO enables media workflows using creative and pragmatic technology solutions. We are a software engineering group that develops and supports applications and workflows that ingest media assets as they show up at our doors and run it through the media supply chain by processing, managing, transforming, and delivering the assets to all HBO affiliates and partners.
We are a fundamental part of HBO's innovation and success and realizing our mission requires a staff of highly motivated and technically flexible software professionals across a variety of disciplines: design, development, program & project management, testing and support. We are hiring people to build a team that can create engaging, high-quality solutions, platforms, and interactive experiences.
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer with the knowledge, motivation, and energy to help build robust and flexible custom applications to help support Production, Engineering, and Business teams within HBO and other divisions under the Time Warner umbrella. The applications we architect, develop, and support are critical to the creation, marketing, distribution, and reselling of HBO products and are a fundamental part of HBO's innovation and success.
You will design, develop, and maintain internationally-distributed applications for not only HBO, but multiple divisions under the Time Warner corporate umbrella. These applications not only securely stream video content but also help streamline HBO and Turner's business processes.
What you'll do:
- Develop and maintain our content sharing applications to meet the needs of our business partners and their domestic and international users.
- Work closely with our geographically distributed development and testing teams to deliver high quality and highly secure applications that provide an optimal user experience for our users.
- Help design and develop business critical dashboards for monitoring assets as they traverse HBO's digital supply chain and are delivered to our partners, both internal to HBO and our external B2B and affiliate partners.
We are looking for a highly skilled individual who has a proven track record and takes pride in bringing high-quality code quickly to market, enjoys learning and applying new technologies, good at out of box thinking, and thrives in a dynamic engineering-oriented work environment.
Successful applicants must have the following:
- In depth knowledge of cloud based development, hands on experience in core AWS products and integration of AWS with other applications.
- Experience in REST-Based APIs, Ajax
- Experience in video and audio streaming with DRM
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms (such as mobile vs, desktop), and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Understanding web application security principles
- Knowledge of web markup, including HTML5, CSS3
- Ability to implement automated testing platforms and unit tests
Experience with the following is a plus:
- UI frameworks such as Bootstrap or Onsen UI
- Development in native iOS video applications in Swift or Objective-C
- 5+ years of established track record of implementing large-scale high-quality software applications
- Strong communication skills and an ability to interact with all levels of technical and non-technical personnel
- Drive to master emerging technologies and share experience with team members
- Proven problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Solid foundation in troubleshooting application and data issues
- Ability to understand goals, strategies, and needs of the business as they relate to application development
- Ability to be a self-starter and to multitask
- Ability to fit into an agile development environment and create a positive influence
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, engineering, or equivalent technical experience
About Us It's HBOSM
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top