HBO Production Technology Architect
Media & Production Operations is HBO's west coast based technology group. We solve unique problems within the production chain, work to standardize and centralize workflows and provide production level support to HBO original programs. The team is tasked with researching, building and deploying a suite of cutting edge technology and custom tools to empower and improve the creative process.
Under the direction of the VP, Media & Production Operations, the Production Technology Architect will be an individual who collaborates with HBO's West Coast Original Programming department to solve production problems and communicate complex technical information clearly and concisely.
The Production Technology Architect will work with software developers, Principle Engineers and the Technical Production Manager to develop production sourced ideas into viable, deployable solutions that enable our filmmakers to produce the highest quality imagery. This will require the Production Technology Architect to utilize their extensive production and technical experience to bridge the gap between the world of physical production and the world of technology development.
This position requires a strong background in production and engineering and the ability to manage long range strategic planning, keep pace with emerging technologies, while focusing on speed, quality, efficiency and costs. The Production Technology Architect will have accountability for balancing a more effective approach to utilizing in-house resources and outsource services, developing smart alliances with vendors, research, design and technology implementation that is streamlined and integrated with the overall technology strategy for HBO.
- Research within the production pipeline to identify challenges and opportunities for development.
- Work with the production and post department to better understand current state technologies and workflows.
- Identify areas where technology can be applied to solve a specific problem.
- Document opportunies for innovation within the production process.
- Research new technologies.
- Stay up to date with emerging technology within the Film/TV industry as well as other industries.
- Create test material and projects to illustrate or test new methods or technologies.
- When needed develop test material to prove out new workflows or new technology.
- Create proof of concept projects to evaluate new technology.
- Pitch solutions and projects to address opportunities that have been discovered by the research work that's been done in production.
- Produce documentation, presentations and updates as needed to communicate the status of projects or to help pitch new projects.
- Working with the development team, plan & manage the creation, integration and refinement of software, hardware or processes that are needed to enable a solution.
- Ensure design and/or implementation can be resolved in accordance with fundamental architectural concepts, and user needs and constraints. This may involve coordinating the involvement of other groups within Media Technology & Information Systems & other departments within the company.
- QC/Acceptance testing of solutions through the development process to ensure they are meeting their design goals.
- Deploy the solutions in the field; this will require demonstrations, documentation and training with end users.
- Extensive Experience: (10+ years)
- Master's degree in film or relevant discipline is a plus
- Imaging & Photographic Science with extensive filed production experience.
- Extensive Post Production Engineering Experience
- Software development project management experience with a focus on production, post and creative tools
- Knowledge of the following: (5+ years):
- Video and audio compression technologies, media file containers, image processing in hardware and software
- Modern production and post production workflows
- Mac OS X, Microsoft Windows and Linux
- Color Correction platforms: Resolve, Pablo, ColorFront
- Digital camera and digital cinema file-based workflows, e.g., Arri Alexa, RED One, Phantom Flex
About Us It's HBOSM
America's most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top