HBO Metadata Technician (Freelance)
Reporting to the Manager, Metadata & Taxonomy, participate in the deployment of an enterprise-level Metadata Initiative and associated tools to standardize and aggregate metadata and provide informational consistency and accuracy across both digital and analog workflows, particularly in support of end-to-end content management and the development of automated metadata management procedures. Requires familiarity with programming logic and some script writing ability.
- Assist with the onboarding and ongoing support of business units brought into the Metadata Initiative:
- Use HBO metadata toolkit for mapping, standardization, migration and similar exercises.
- Support departmental metadata stewardship program.
- Participate in metadata discovery efforts as new data sources and projects are enfolded into the Metadata Initiative
- Assist in retrieving metadata through digital archeological and/or forensic procedures as required.
- Analyze, identify and resolve errors and inconsistencies in metadata and nomenclature.
- Write scripts to format and move large amounts of metadata, including batch processing, and support data migration and integration.
- Relevant degree (e.g. Library Science, Museum/Archival Studies, Computer Science) or equivalent knowledge/metadata management experience.
- Experience with the development and application of metadata specifications: controlled vocabularies, and data rules
- Experience with relevant standards, tools and technologies (e.g. XML, XSLT, RDF, SQL etc.)
- Experience with Informatica or similar data management tools, Synaptica or similar taxonomy/vocabulary tools.
- Experience with media management tools, especially in production, post-production, or broadcast.
- Knowledge of knowledge bases, especially non-relational (e.g. RDF triple-stores); Information extraction algorithms; database architecture
- Familiarity with Web services and API development
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top