HBO Metadata Technician (Fixed-Term)
Reporting to the Manager, Metadata & Taxonomy, participate in the deployment of an enterprise-level Metadata Initiative through the use of technical tools. Programming logic and script writing capabilities are necessary in order to facilitate data analysis efforts.
Metadata / taxonomy knowledge and experience are integral skills needed for this position. A Masters in Library and Information Science (MLIS) degree is highly desired.
- Assist in retrieving metadata through digital archeological and/or forensic procedures.
- Participate in the creation and maintenance of metadata cross maps and card sort exercises to support metadata normalization and standardization, migration efforts, and similar exercises.
- Analyze, identify and resolve errors and inconsistencies in metadata and nomenclature.
- Write scripts to format, modify, and move large amounts of metadata, including batch processing, in order to support data migration and integration.
- Support the company’s metadata stewardship program.
- Participate in metadata discovery efforts as new data sources and projects are enfolded into the Metadata Initiative.
- Relevant degree (e.g. Library Science, Museum/Archival Studies, Computer Science) or equivalent knowledge/metadata management and technical experience.
- Experience with the development and application of metadata specifications: controlled vocabularies / lists of values, and data quality maintenance rules
- Experience with relevant standards, tools and technologies (e.g. XML, XSLT, RDF, SQL etc.)
- Experience with Informatica or similar master data management tools, Synaptica or similar taxonomy/vocabulary tools.
- Experience with media management terminology, especially in production, post-production, or broadcast.
- Knowledge of knowledge bases, especially non-relational (e.g. RDF triple-stores); Information extraction algorithms; database architecture
- Familiarity with Web services and API development
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
See Inside the Office of HBO
Launched in 1972, HBO has become a critically acclaimed innovator, ratings record-breaker and multiple Golden Globe winner in the cable television industry. The company offers 24-hour pay television services of its exclusive productions—including original movies, series, comedy, documentaries, family shows, and world-class sporting events—to its dedicated following of 46 million subscribers in the U.S. and in 50 countries around the globe.
Back to top