HBO Manager, Digital and Social Media News Programming
HBO is looking for a Manager, Digital and Social Media to support its news programming, including Vice, Real Time with Bill Maher, Last Week Tonight with John Oliver and upcoming programming initiatives. This candidate will help establish the marketing strategy and lead the day to day editorial support and publishing of digital content in support HBO’s news series. The candidate will be responsible for working with both show runners/creative teams as well as key HBO stakeholders to ensure all digital promotions and content executions meet the highest quality delivery regardless of medium or platform. This role will fall on a swing shift, with expected evening and weekend work on a regular basis.
A key position within the digital and social marketing team, this role reports to the Director, Digital and Social Media. The ideal candidate is a stellar team player with a proven ability to deliver across numerous digital platforms simultaneously. S/he is hyper-enthusiastic about participating in a 24-hour news cycle and up-to-date on ever-evolving digital and social media trends. S/he is equal parts able to identify where HBO’s news content translates perfectly into the digital and social space as where the digital and social space translates perfectly into content ideas for HBO’s news programming.
Produce and deliver on HBO’s digital news content by doing the following:
- Work with the Director, Digital & Social Media to establish a digital strategy and content plan to support HBO’s news programming
- Lead the digital content development process for multiple series activations throughout the season (requires strong cross-discipline collaboration)
- Administer soup to nuts publishing – including copywriting/editorial and web production – of timely news content around the clock
- Oversee and/or assist with the output of all digital content on owned channels including HBO.com and HBO NOW, as well as major brand Facebook Fan Pages, Twitter profiles, image-sharing platforms (Instagram, Pinterest, etc), blogging platforms (Tumblr, Medium, etc) and podcasts
- Partner with show creative and talent to develop digital content extensions to the linear programming
- Work cross functionally between shows and the HBO Digital Marketing team to generate/deliver multi-platform digital content that satisfies the series’ Digital Marketing strategies
- Successfully facilitate digital marketing promotions and collaborative efforts with the HBO Digital Marketing team, Program Advertising team, Media Relations, and other internal HBO teams
- Maintain editorial calendars and communicate deliverable deadlines across show creative and talent
- Lead content approvals both within the news programming staff as well as with key HBO stakeholders such as Legal, etc
- Work closely with platforms (Facebook/Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat) and vendors (e.g. agencies) to identify opportunities for digital promotions
- Adhere to the highest level of quality assurance standards including 100% publication accuracy
- Take a lead role in digital content project management
- Ensure all factors that govern project success deliver within time, cost and quality parameters and manage/communicate risk throughout the process
Prior experience in the news/media space. A fluent understanding of web-based digital content, best practices and comprehensive ability to project manage content initiatives. Proven editorial and production experience. Candidate should have firm understanding of the trends powering today’s interactive experiences.
Other requirements as follows:
- Availability to work nights and weekend hours (some travel)
- 6+ years experience in digital content development for a major media brand or franchise
- Creative thinker with impeccable communication skills and influence-management skills essential; can collaborate effectively and efficiently
- Established digital/social media background including proven experience driving major brand profiles
- Proven marketing skills in all facets of brand/audience development
- Proactive, organized, efficient, detail-oriented, unassailable focus on the basics, tenacious (persistent about bringing open items to closure), accountable, enthusiastic
- Experience overseeing digital word-of-mouth campaigns and leading content generation efforts
- Ability to balance multiple, competing directions, identify and delegate tasks effectively and manage multiple projects successfully
- A sound knowledge of the web, social media and related technologies. Able to explain it to others, advise on the best approach, develop plans for the completion of projects and execute based on them
- Proven ability to meet deadlines and to deliver to budget
- Bachelor’s degree required
About Us It’s HBOSM
America’s most successful premium television company, Home Box Office delivers two 24-hour pay television services—HBO®and Cinemax®. HBO continues to take advantage of the latest technological innovations with advancements that include the availability of HBO programming online though HBO GOSM and MAX GOSM, as well as HBO On Demand® and Cinemax On Demand® in HD. Just as HBO is a company noted for its commitment to excellence in the products and services it delivers to consumers, it makes the extra effort to create a work environment in which fairness, equity, trust, and individual responsibility are valued. HBO is committed to retaining and recruiting skilled and motivated employees, placing a priority on qualified team players who contribute to the diversity of their workforce. HBO offers competitive benefits to include medical, dental, vision, a matched 401(k) plan, flexible spending, a commuter benefit program and tuition reimbursement.
HBO is an equal employment opportunity employer. HBO does not discriminate against any applicant or employee based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, mental or physical disability, and genetic information, or any other basis protected by applicable law. HBO also prohibits harassment of applicants or employees based on any of these protected categories.
Back to top